📖 Table of Contents
Authentic Couscous: Cook a Perfect Side Dish at Home
My authentic couscous recipe is one of the most delicious side dishes you have ever cooked!
➡️ Authentic couscous is one of the dishes I try to cook more often, but I never manage to do that! The exact reasons are not clear to me, the fact that it is probably not very common in the shops in the area where I live plays an important role.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Couscous from Scratch at Home
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots and zucchini, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and spices to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While the stew is simmering, prepare the couscous according to the package instructions.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and transfer to a large serving dish.
- Ladle the vegetable stew over the couscous and garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious Authentic Couscous!
- Use a high-quality semolina grain couscous for the best texture and flavor.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables in the stew. They should be tender but still retain some texture and crunch.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste preferences. If you like it spicier, add more paprika or chili flakes.
- For a creamier texture, you can add a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream to the stew before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Cooking Authentic Couscous at Home is a Breeze!
➡️ Couscous is typically served with a meat stew, vegetable stew, or soup, but sometimes also as an appetizer. It can be cooked either by boiling or steaming and is often eaten in the Middle East and North Africa, so most recipes come from these regions and feature typical flavorings, which make it more appetizing to me since I like strong aromas in food.
➡️ Mediterranean diet has been around for thousands of years, but its origins are unclear. It is thought to have originated in the eastern Mediterranean, where over the centuries, foods such as olive oil, herbs, and spices have been added to create the complex flavors and tastes that are uniquely Mediterranean! And couscous is one of the most representative Mediterranean dishes!
➡️ For more delicious Mediterranean food recipes, I recommend you my cookbook Effective Mediterranean Diet Meal Plan for 15 Days.
Related Mediterranean Food Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by