Authentic Greek moussaka recipes – how to make Greek moussaka. Authentic roasted eggplant recipe to cook moussaka with simple and tasty ingredients such as eggplant, ground meat, sour cream, and more.
Learn in this video how to make Greek moussaka by using an authentic moussaka recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 4 kg / 140 oz of eggplant
2)coarse salt + ground black pepper
3) 1.5 kg / 50 oz of mincemeat
4) 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
5) 250 g / 9 oz of chopped onion
6) 1 kg / 35 oz of tomato
7) 1 kg / 35 oz of sour cream (12% fat) + some more for serving (recommended)
8) 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
9) fresh or dried rosemary leaves
1) cut eggplants into thick slices
2) rub eggplant slices with coarse salt, then wait about 1 hour to eliminate the bitter juice from inside
3) remove the salty water from the eggplant slices
4) roast the eggplant until golden brown on the coal grill or in the oven
5) put mincemeat into a frying-pan, then place it to the stovetop over high temperature and fry it with a bit of vegetable oil, season it with salt and ground black pepper to taste
6) when the ground meat is bleached, add the chopped onion and fry for about 5 minutes more to soften it
7) remove the skin from the eggplant – this is not mandatory but recommended because the fried eggplant skin, especially on coal or wood, is very bitter
8) cut tomatoes into very thin slices
9) place about half of the roasted eggplant into a large tray into a layer
10) stretch the fried meat over the eggplant into a layer
11) put the rest of eggplant over the meat also into a layer
12) add tomato slices into a layer over eggplant
13) place sour cream into a bowl, add flour and some salt and ground pepper to taste, then combine together all ingredients
14) sprinkle over some rosemary to taste (optional but recommended for an authentic Greek taste)
15) pour the sour cream into the tray all over
16) place the tray into the oven at 180 C / 360 F and wait until the top of the eggplant casserole is golden brown
17) take out the tray from the oven and wait about 30 minutes before serving (recommended to avoid sliding apart moussaka squares)
18) serve the Greek moussaka while it’s still warm
Authentic Greek moussaka it’s made with roasted eggplant and ground lamb. Today are available many moussaka recipes with eggplant, zucchini or potato, but the one presented on this page is the closest to the original and it’s made even nowadays all over Greece.
As mentioned, authentic Greek moussaka is made with lamb, but you can replace it with ground pork or ground beef without any concerns. The moussaka will be equally delicious and appreciated by everyone!
I recommend roasting the eggplant on the coal grill to get a slightly smoked taste of the moussaka. If you don’t have this option, roasting eggplants in the oven or on the stovetop are good choices.
Removing the skin from the roasted eggplant is not mandatory (most Greek don’t do that), but be aware that it is very bitter and the moussaka will have such taste. Therefore, I prefer to remove the skin and make a more refined moussaka version.
Finally, I recommend adding some extra sour cream over moussaka on the plate for a more creamy texture. Also, some freshly ground black pepper gives a more spicy taste to moussaka.
Authentic Greek moussaka is best when it’s served along with a Greek dry white wine or a local alcoholic beverage called retsina. Good appetite!
No, eggplant is a typical ingredient of the authentic Greek moussaka.
Read more about the origins of the Greek moussaka here.