Homemade baked beans recipes – how to make baked beans with smoked ham hock or ham shank. Easy food recipe to cook baked beans with smoked ham shank, pork knuckle or ham hock and white beans.
Learn in this video how to make baked beans with ham hock from scratch by using a yummy and easy food recipe with beans and smoked pork knuckle or ham shank!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 1 kg / 35 oz of white beans (navy beans, butter beans or a similar type)
2) 1-1,5 kg / 35-60 oz of smoked ham hock on the bone
3) 5 garlic cloves or to taste
4) black peppercorn to taste
5) 1-2 dried bay leaves
6) 2 carrots
7) 2 onions
8) 1 tsp of garlic powder (optional if you like intense garlic flavor)
9) 1 tsp of dried thyme
10) salt and ground black pepper to taste
11) 1 bundle of greenery (parsley, dill, coriander)
1) place beans in a bowl, pour water to cover it completely, then wait overnight to soften the beans (recommended)
2) place ham hock into a crockpot, then add garlic cloves, black peppercorn, and bay leaves
3) fill the pot up with water, then place it to the stovetop over low temperature and boil until the ham shank is very soft (about 60-90 minutes, depending on the ham size)
4) take the pork knuckle out from the pot when it’s ready and add the beans into the broth
5) boil the beans until slightly softened, then drain the broth from the pot
6) meanwhile, peel the carrots and cut it into rings, after that peel the onions and chop them finely
7) add the carrots and onions into the pot, then season the food with garlic powder, dried thyme, salt, and ground black pepper to taste
8) fill the pot up with lukewarm water to cover completely ingredients, then boil over low temperature until the bean is very soft and the sauce is low
9) in the meantime, remove the bone from ham hock and cube the ham into medium-sized pieces
10) add the ham pieces to the bean pot and boil for 10-15 minutes more to combine flavors, stir ingredients frequently to avoid food burning
11) add the finely chopped greenery, mix, and serve the food while warm
Generally speaking, baked beans with pork knuckle is cooked from fall to spring, when the cold weather requires hearty meals.
I remember even today the faraway childhood days when my grandma used to wait for me with a plate of steaming baked beans with boiled smoked ham that I devoured quickly to warm up and fill my stomach up after playing outdoors in the harsh cold.
So, it’s obvious to everyone that I love this food and I cook it as frequently as I can in wintertime.
Cooking baked beans with smoked ham hock is easy, even if takes pretty much time. However, most of the cooking time involves boiling the ingredients, so you can do something else in the meantime.
The food can be served plain, but I recommend you to eat some pickles along with it for an even more refined taste. I love to eat this dish with pickled cucumber, but sauerkraut is a great option as well. Of course, you can eat any other pickle type you like.
Enjoy baked beans with smoked ham hock!
Read more about different pork and beans recipes here.