Sauerkraut and ham hock recipes – how to make pork knuckle with sauerkraut. Easy ham hock recipe to cook pork shank or pork knuckle in the oven with sauerkraut, red onions, and more simple and tasty ingredients.
Learn in this video how to make pork knuckle with sauerkraut by using a yummy and easy ham hock roast recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.HomemadeRecipesfromScratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 1,5 kg / 50 oz of pork knuckle, smoked or not, to taste (I recommend smoked pork knuckle/ham shank/ham hock)
2) salt and black peppercorn to taste
3) a few garlic cloves to taste (I use a header of garlic)
4) 1-2 dried bay leaves
5) 3 kg / 110 oz of sauerkraut
6) 3 red onions (about 200 g / 7 oz)
7) 3 tbsp of sunflower oil
1) put pork knuckle in a high pot, season it with black peppercorns, salt, garlic, and bay leaves as desired
2) pour water into the pot, then place the pot to the stovetop over low temperature
3) boil ham shank until it’s tender (around 1-2 hours)
4) meanwhile, wedge sauerkraut coarsely and place it on a tray into a layer
5) peel onion off, wedge it finely, place it over sour cabbage and mix ingredients
6) when the knuckle is soft, pour a few ladles of broth in which boiled the ham hock over pickled cabbage so that it’s sunk into juice about three quarters
7) put pork knuckle over sauerkraut and cut it lengthwise on one side so that the bone side is down (in other words, butterfly it)
8) pour a little oil over ham and cabbage, then put the tray in the oven
9) bake ingredients at 160 C / 320 F until they are evenly browned, I recommend turning the shank and mixing sauerkraut gently every 20-30 minutes
10) turn the heat off and leave the tray in the oven for 30 minutes (recommended)
11) take the tray out of the oven when this delicious baked pork knuckle with sauerkraut is ready for serving
During winter, food including pickled cabbage and smoked pork among ingredients is one of my kitchen favorites. There are many such food recipes that I cook in wintertime and one of them is especially appreciated by the whole family. This is baked pork knuckle with sauerkraut.
Pork knuckle, ham shank or ham hock, as it’s popularly called, is a pork cut little used by younger generations. I don’t know for sure why this is happening, but I suppose that those who don’t like smoked ham have not had the opportunity in childhood to eat traditional food with this amazingly tasty ingredient.
Smoked pork knuckle is mostly used for cooking bean soup with smoked ham or baked beans with ham. Another way to cook ham shank is to bake it in the oven, most often along with sauerkraut or sauerkraut and potatoes.
I like to cook this dish with smoked ham, but if I don’t have one, I make it with pleasure also with non-smoked ham.
There are not many cooking tips to share regarding this recipe because it’s very simple and does not require many ingredients.
The most important thing to keep in mind when cooking this recipe is to not rush, respectively to boil pork knuckle over low temperature and to cook ham and cabbage in the oven slowly – so the food has time both to fry and bake.
A more refined version of the recipe features dry white wine – you have just to replace meat broth with about 500 ml / 20 fl oz of wine and the dish will become really unforgettable!
Yes, you can cook baked pork knuckle with sweet cabbage instead of sauerkraut exactly in the same way.
Enjoy baked pork knuckle with sauerkraut!
Read more about ham shank as the food here.