Learn in this cooking video how to make balsamic vinegar coleslaw salad from scratch using a tasty and easy cabbage salad recipe without mayonnaise dressing!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY coleslaw salad! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) remove the withered leaves from the cabbage head, cut in two lengthwise, remove the stub from both halves, then cut each of them in two pieces lengthwise
2) cut all cabbage pieces into very finely wedges by using the knife or make the same thing with a kitchen robot
3) place the cabbage into a bowl, sprinkle over two spoons of salt, and mix the ingredients very well by hand
4) wait 1-2 hours or until salt extracts a large amount of water from the cabbage
5) squeeze the cabbage by hand to remove as much salted water as you can
6) season the fresh cabbage salad with some freshly ground black pepper to taste
7) sprinkle cumin powder over the cabbage (optional)
8) pour some vinegar over the cabbage to match your taste
9) pour some vegetable oil into the bowl, then combine ingredients very well
10) wait at least 30 minutes before serving to mix flavors better (optional but recommended)
Fresh cabbage salad or coleslaw is one of the most popular vegetable salads in many parts of the planet. There are several types of cabbage used to make a salad, from which the most popular are white cabbage and red cabbage or purple cabbage.
Since coleslaw is prepared almost everywhere in the world, there are many cabbage salad recipes featuring various gastronomical influences. I share with you a coleslaw recipe with vinegar dressing that is used in some parts of Eastern Europe.
Making cabbage salad is really easy. Preparing a basic coleslaw recipe doesn’t pose any difficulty even to the less experienced people in regard to cooking.
However, there are a few things that I underline to get the best results. One very important tip is to cut the cabbage into very thin wedges. This is useful both to enjoy the salad while eating and to combine better cabbage with flavors.
My technique is to extract water from cabbage. There are many people who argue that the liquid from cabbage is actually not water but a magical liquid that will strengthen your body like no other substance on Earth! Folks, the liquid in the cabbage is plain water and must be treated as such!
But why do you need to extract water from cabbage? Mainly, because of two things: one is to soften the cabbage, and second, to reduce its volume.
Regarding the flavors used for this simple coleslaw recipe: I like very much the combination of vinegar, black pepper, and cumin because it matches perfectly the cabbage taste. Needless to say, you can skip the cumin if you don’t like it (still, keep in mind that cumin is very helpful for digestion!).
Furthermore, you can add a few grated garlic cloves to give even more aroma to your coleslaw salad.
If you’re asking which is the best vinegar to use for this sweet cabbage salad, the answer is the one that you like most. You can use balsamic vinegar with various flavors such as tarragon, basil, and so on. At the same time, you might pour simple white wine vinegar (use red wine vinegar if you make purple cabbage salad) or even apple cider vinegar. The quantity depends just on you, respectively on how sour do you like eating the fresh cabbage salad.
Enjoy the basic vinegar coleslaw salad recipe!
Read more about the coleslaw origins here.