📖 Table of Contents
Cooking Braised Short Ribs at Home
Some of the most delicious beef rib recipes you’ve ever cooked!
➡️ Beef ribs are one of the most popular foods in the world for a reason – they’re delicious, and there are so many different ways to prepare them. There are several ways to cook beef ribs, but the most common method is to cook them in a pan. Surely you know you can also cook them in the oven or on the grill. In order to cook ribs so that they’re guaranteed to turn out well, you should braise them. Braising is a traditional cooking method, and it’s something that every home chef should know how to do perfectly.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
Braised Short Ribs
- 6 bone-in beef short ribs (about 5-6 pounds)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the short ribs generously with salt and black pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the short ribs to the pot and brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes total.
- Remove the short ribs from the pot and set them aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot and sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Pour in the red wine and beef broth, stirring to combine.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary to the pot.
- Return the short ribs to the pot and spoon some of the liquid over the top of them.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it in the preheated oven.
- Braise the short ribs for 3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove the pot from the oven and skim any fat off the top of the liquid.
- Use tongs to carefully remove the short ribs from the pot and place them on a serving platter.
- Strain the cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve and discard the solids.
- Return the strained liquid to the pot and simmer over medium heat until it has reduced and thickened slightly, about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the reduced sauce over the short ribs and serve hot.
- Use a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven to ensure even cooking and prevent burning.
- Brown the short ribs well on all sides before braising to create a flavorful crust.
- Choose a dry red wine that you enjoy drinking, as the flavor will come through in the dish.
- Use fresh herbs for the best flavor, but if you only have dried herbs on hand, use about half the amount called for in the recipe.
- If you have time, refrigerate the short ribs in the cooking liquid overnight. This will allow the flavors to develop even more and make the meat even more tender.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Cooking Braised Short Ribs at Home is a Breeze!
➡️ Cooking beef ribs is one of the most popular culinary traditions in the United States. In fact, beef ribs are so popular that there are many websites dedicated to providing advice and recipes for making the most of your beef ribs. However, because beef ribs are such a popular dish, there are a lot of myths and misconceptions about how to cook the most delicious beef ribs. This article will discuss the best methods for cooking braised short ribs and provide a few recipes for cooking the best beef ribs by this method (see below.)
➡️ Braised short ribs are extremely delicious and easier to cook than you might think! If you need additional info, read more on braising!
FAQs about Braised Short Ribs
What are braised short ribs?
Braised short ribs are a flavorful and tender cut of beef that comes from the lower rib section of the cow. They are often cooked slowly in a liquid, such as broth or wine, until the meat becomes tender and falls off the bone.
How do I choose the right short ribs?
Look for short ribs with a good amount of marbling, as this will contribute to the rich flavor and tenderness. Choose cuts that have a deep red color and are well-trimmed. You can ask your butcher for assistance in selecting the best short ribs for braising.
What is the best cooking method for braised short ribs?
The most common and recommended method for cooking braised short ribs is to sear them first in a hot pan to develop a flavorful crust, and then transfer them to a pot or Dutch oven with braising liquid. They are then cooked slowly over low heat, either on the stovetop or in the oven, until the meat is fork-tender.
What kind of braising liquid can I use?
Braising liquids can vary depending on personal preference and the flavor profile you want to achieve. Common choices include beef or vegetable broth, red or white wine, or a combination of these. The liquid helps infuse the meat with flavor and keeps it moist during the cooking process.
How long does it take to braise short ribs?
Braising short ribs is a slow-cooking process that typically takes around 2 to 3 hours. The exact time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the ribs and the cooking temperature. It’s important to cook them until the meat is tender and easily pulls away from the bone.
Can I make braised short ribs ahead of time?
Yes, braised short ribs can be made ahead of time. In fact, they often taste even better the next day as the flavors continue to develop. You can refrigerate the cooked ribs in their braising liquid and reheat them gently when ready to serve.
What are some serving suggestions for braised short ribs?
Braised short ribs pair well with various side dishes, such as creamy mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a fresh salad. You can also serve them with crusty bread or over a bed of cooked grains like polenta or risotto.
Are there any alternative cooking methods for short ribs?
While braising is the most popular method for cooking short ribs, you can also prepare them in a slow cooker or pressure cooker for a quicker cooking time. These methods can yield tender and flavorful results as well.
Related Beef Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by