Broccoli cauliflower gratin recipes – how to make broccoli and cauliflower gratin in 13 steps at home.
Learn in this video how to make broccoli and cauliflower gratin by using a yummy and easy cauliflower bake recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 1,5 kg/52 oz of broccoli and cauliflower mix, fresh or frozen
2) 50 g/17 oz of butter or margarine
3) 2 tbsp of fine-grained breadcrumbs
4) 25 g/1 oz of chives or green onions
5) 300 g/10 oz of salted cheese like feta or Parmesan, of your choice
6) 3 eggs separated into yolks and whites
7) 3 tbsp of sour cream
8) salt and ground white pepper to taste
1) wash and cut broccoli and cauliflower into smaller bunches if you use their fresh versions or skip to the next step if you use frozen vegetables
2) boil vegetables until partly soft (al dente) in steam or salted water
3) wait to cool vegetables to room temperature
4) brush a tray with butter or margarine and sprinkle over breadcrumbs into a thin layer
5) place about half of the vegetables in the tray
6) place chives or green onions and cheese over vegetables
7) add the rest of the vegetables to the tray into a layer
8) separate eggs, then whip egg whites with a mixer until hard
9) add sour cream, salt, and ground pepper to taste over egg whites, then combine gently ingredients by hand
10) add egg yolks into the bowl and mix again ingredients
11) pour the mixture over vegetables into a layer and shake the dish to eliminate air bubbles
12) place the tray into the preheated oven at 170 C/340 F and bake the casserole until browned on top (about 20-25 minutes)
13) take the tray out from the oven and wait about 15-30 minutes before serving to harden the sauce inside (recommended)
I cook pretty often vegetable casserole and vegetable gratin and use different vegetable combinations, fresh or frozen, depending on ingredients that I have at hand.
On this page, I show you how to make broccoli and cauliflower gratin. One of my personal contributions to the classic gratin recipe is the salted cheese layer. Most often I use feta, but you can add other salted cheese types as well.
No matter which cheese are you using, it has to be grated or crushed into small pieces for better blending with the sour cream sauce.
If you don’t have or you don’t like salted cheese simply add a layer of grated Parmesan, Cheddar, or another similar cheese type.
The second customization of the traditional recipe is the chives or green onion layer. This adds more aroma and refinement to the simple broccoli and cauliflower flavors.
The third thing that I make different from the classic gratin recipe is the sour cream sauce. By the technique that I use, you get a fantastic creamy texture that binds together all ingredients.
The gratin is served usually without any other side dish. However, you might cook it as a side dish and serve vegetable gratin along with roasted, grilled, or baked meat such as roast chicken, grilled pork, baked sausage, and so on.
Enjoy broccoli and cauliflower gratin!
Read more about different gratin dishes here.