📖 Table of Contents
Cooking Broccoli and Cauliflower Recipes: Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
My broccoli and cauliflower recipe is one of the most delicious broccoli and cauliflower gratin recipes you’ve ever cooked at home!
➡️ Searching for easy broccoli cauliflower gratin recipes in 2023? On this website, you’ll learn how to make broccoli and cauliflower gratin in 13 steps at home. Cauliflower and broccoli are two of my favorite vegetables, so I often use them in my kitchen for various recipes, of which gratins are in the place of honor, especially after the beginning of autumn, when more substantial foods are needed for a higher caloric intake due to the cold.
➡️ For reasons that escape me, cauliflower gratin is not very popular in the United States despite its delicious taste and high nutritional value. My easy broccoli and cauliflower recipe helps you prepare baked cauliflower in the oven with simple and delicious ingredients like cheese and broccoli.
➡️ In general, preparing a gratin is not difficult and does not take too much time, thus being an excellent choice for a tasty and quick weeknight dinner. Watch the cooking video below and learn how to make broccoli and cauliflower gratin using a yummy and easy cauliflower bake recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin from Scratch
What ingredients do you need for broccoli and cauliflower gratin?
1) 1,5 kg/52 oz of broccoli and cauliflower mix, fresh or frozen
2) 50 g/17 oz of butter or margarine
3) 2 tbsp of fine-grained breadcrumbs
4) 25 g/1 oz of chives or green onions
5) 300 g/10 oz of salted cheese like feta or Parmesan, of your choice
6) 3 eggs separated into yolks and whites
7) 3 tbsp of sour cream
8) salt and ground white pepper to taste
How to make broccoli and cauliflower gratin from scratch?
1) wash and cut broccoli and cauliflower into smaller bunches if you use their fresh versions or skip to the next step if you use frozen vegetables
2) boil vegetables until partly soft (al dente) in steam or salted water
3) wait to cool vegetables to room temperature
4) brush a tray with butter or margarine and sprinkle over breadcrumbs into a thin layer
5) place about half of the vegetables on the tray
6) place chives or green onions and cheese over vegetables
7) add the rest of the vegetables to the tray in a layer
8) separate eggs, then whip egg whites with a mixer until hard
9) add sour cream, salt, and ground pepper to taste over egg whites, then combine gently ingredients by hand
10) add egg yolks into the bowl and mix again ingredients
11) pour the mixture over vegetables into a layer and shake the dish to eliminate air bubbles
12) place the tray into the preheated oven at 170 C/340 F and bake the casserole until browned on top (about 20-25 minutes)
13) take the tray out from the oven and wait about 15-30 minutes before serving to harden the sauce inside (recommended)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Final Notes for the Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Recipe
➡️ A vegetable gratin is one of the best food recipes when you want to eat a light meal. Each of us has a preferred recipe and, probably, everyone ate vegetable gratin at least once in life.
➡️ I cook pretty often vegetable casserole and vegetable gratin and use different vegetable combinations, fresh or frozen, depending on the ingredients that I have at hand.
➡️ On this page, I show you how to make broccoli and cauliflower gratin. One of my personal contributions to the classic gratin recipe is the salted cheese layer. Most often I use feta, but you can add other salted cheese types as well.
➡️ No matter which cheese are you using, it has to be grated or crushed into small pieces for better blending with the sour cream sauce. If you don’t have or you don’t like salted cheese simply add a layer of grated Parmesan, Cheddar, or another similar cheese type.
➡️ The second customization of the traditional recipe is the chives or green onion layer. This adds more aroma and refinement to the simple broccoli and cauliflower flavors.
➡️ The third thing that I make different from the classic gratin recipe is the sour cream sauce. By the technique that I use, you get a fantastic creamy texture that binds together all ingredients.
➡️ The broccoli and cauliflower gratin is served usually without any other side dish. However, you might cook it as a side dish and serve this vegetable gratin along with roasted, grilled, or baked meat such as roast chicken, grilled pork, baked sausage, and so on.
➡️ Increasing the intake of minerals, vitamins and fibers is the key to maintaining a healthy body, so the consumption of delicious vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli is vital. Enjoy cooking broccoli and cauliflower gratin from scratch! For additional info, read more about different gratin dishes here.
Related Cauliflower Gratin Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by