Learn in this cooking video how to make cheesy scalloped potatoes with sour cream from scratch using a tasty and easy potato gratin recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cheesy scalloped potatoes recipe by www.HomemadeRecipesfromScratch.com! ENJOY cooking scalloped potatoes! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) peel potatoes off, slice them thinly, and place them on a tray or heat-proof casserole
2) season potatoes with some salt to taste
3) pour about 200 ml/7 fl oz of water into the tray, then pour some vegetable oil over the potatoes
4) put the tray in the oven at 180 C/360 F and bake the potatoes until water is low and the potatoes have slightly softened (about 20 minutes)
5) place sour cream over potatoes into a layer, shake the dish to enter better the cream all over
6) season the food with some ground pepper to taste
7) place cheese over sour cream into a layer
8) put the tray back in the oven and bake potatoes until the cheese is melted and the top is golden (about 20 minutes)
9) turn the oven off and wait at least 15-30 minutes before serving (VERY IMPORTANT!)
All over the planet, people cook potatoes in different ways. Two of the most popular methods are frying and baking. Who did not heard about French fries? Who did not eat baked potatoes?
French cuisine is one of the most refined in the world, so one of the best-known baked potato recipes comes from this country. Potatoes au gratin, named also potato gratin, scalloped potatoes, potato bake, or potato casserole is made for a long time and is loved by both French and other people who prepared them.
Two of the very popular French gratin potatoes recipes are gratin dauphinoise and gratin Savoyard. I will not go into detail about these recipes on this page, however, the cheesy scalloped potatoes recipe shared on this page is somehow similar to the gratin dauphinoise.
Making this potato bake recipe is really easy. You don’t need any advanced cooking skills, nor many ingredients or time to spend in the kitchen.
However, I share with you a few tips to get the best results when cooking this homemade scalloped potatoes recipe.
One of them is to boil a bit of the potato in the oven before adding sour cream and cheese over them. Most recipes don’t require two stages of cooking potatoes in the oven and require adding ingredients over raw potatoes. In my opinion, they are not soft enough when are prepared in this way, so I add a bit of water and soften them prior to making the gratin in fact.
Another way to soften them is to boil potatoes in salted water with the skin on, then peel them off, and continue the recipe from step 5.
Another important thing that I underline is to wait and leave the scalloped potatoes in the oven a little time before serving. This is necessary to harden a bit of the sour cream inside and cheese layer on top and enjoy a really well-done potato casserole.
Enjoy the homemade potato gratin recipe!
Read more about potato gratin types here!
cooking scalloped potatoes | cooking potato gratin | cooking potato bake | French food | French recipes