📖 Table of Contents
Homemade Puff Pastry Cherry Turnovers: A Delightful Treat for Pastry Enthusiasts
My puff pastry cherry turnovers recipe is one of the most delicious cherry strudel recipes you have ever made!
➡️ Searching for easy cherry strudel recipes in 2023? On this webpage, you can learn how to make cherry turnovers with puff pastry in 14 steps at home. Puff pastry turnovers are very popular these days because this type of dough is available in any supermarket at very affordable prices.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Puff Pastry Cherry Turnovers from Scratch
Healthy Desserts Cookbook
If you’re ready to experience the taste of delicious and healthy dessert recipes, look no further than the “Healthy Desserts: A Low-Calorie Desserts Cookbook” cookbook.
Homemade Puff Pastry Cherry Turnovers with Puff Pastry
- 14/400 (oz/g) puff pastry dough
- 6 tsp semolina
- 9/250 (oz/g) seedless cherries
- 8 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon or cardamom powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- unpack the puff pastry dough
- split the dough sheet into 6 pieces
- place 1 tsp of semolina on each dough piece
- place 4-5 cherries on each dough piece
- add 1 tsp of sugar to each dough piece
- sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon or cardamom powder over each dough piece
- turn each dough piece over
- press with a fork all non-attached sides to seal them
- place cherry turnovers on a baking paper-lined tray
- flatten the turnovers by pressing them gently with your palm
- brush turnovers with beaten egg
- make 2 notches in each turnover with a sharp knife
- sprinkle a pinch of brown sugar over each cake piece
- place the tray in the preheated oven at 200C/390F until golden (about 10-15 min)
- Use Quality Puff Pastry: Choose a high-quality store-bought puff pastry or, if you prefer, make your own from scratch. Quality puff pastry will ensure that your turnovers have a light and flaky texture.
- Thoroughly Drain the Cherry Filling: If using canned or jarred cherries, be sure to drain them well to remove excess liquid. This prevents the filling from becoming too watery and compromises the texture of the turnovers.
- Seal the Edges Properly: To prevent the cherry filling from leaking out during baking, ensure that you seal the edges of the turnovers securely. You can use a fork to crimp the edges or fold and pinch them together to create a tight seal.
- Chill the Turnovers Before Baking: Place the assembled turnovers in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes before baking. Chilling helps the puff pastry retain its shape and prevents excessive spreading during baking.
- Monitor the Baking Time: Keep a close eye on the turnovers as they bake to ensure they don’t become overly browned or burnt. Follow the recommended baking time and adjust if needed based on your oven’s behavior.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Final Notes for the Puff Pastry Cherry Turnovers Recipe
➡️ Cherry cake is by far one of my favorite homemade cake recipes. That’s because I really like cherries and cherry cakes have a special flavor that drives me crazy with pleasure! As a result, cherry strudel recipes are at the top of my list of homemade cake recipes.
➡️ Puff pastry cherry turnovers are very similar to cherry strudel both in appearance and taste, therefore they are a real delight for the taste buds. My cherry turnover recipe is extremely useful whenever you want to make a mouth-watering dessert with cherries but you don’t want to spend a long time in the kitchen or you don’t have much time. Enjoy baking cherry turnovers with puff pastry dough from scratch! For additional info, read more on Strudel!
➡️ Don’t have cherries? No problem, I recommend you two similar recipes with apples, apple turnovers with puff pastry and old-fashioned apple turnovesr with puff pastries.
FAQs about Cherry Turnovers with Puff Pastry
What are cherry turnovers?
Cherry turnovers are delightful pastries made with a flaky puff pastry dough filled with a sweet and tangy cherry filling. They are typically folded into a triangular or rectangular shape and baked until golden brown.
Can I use frozen cherries for cherry turnovers?
Yes, you can use frozen cherries to make cherry turnovers. Just make sure to thaw them and drain any excess liquid before using them as a filling. Fresh cherries can also be used for a more vibrant flavor.
Can I make my own puff pastry for cherry turnovers?
While it is possible to make your own puff pastry from scratch, it can be quite time-consuming and requires a certain level of skill. Many home bakers prefer to use store-bought puff pastries for convenience and excellent results.
How do I prevent the cherry filling from leaking out of the turnovers?
To prevent the cherry filling from leaking, it’s important to properly seal the turnovers. Make sure the edges are securely pressed together, and you can even use a fork to crimp the edges. Additionally, avoid overfilling the turnovers to prevent any leakage during baking.
Can I prepare cherry turnovers in advance?
Yes, you can prepare cherry turnovers in advance. You can assemble the turnovers and refrigerate them overnight before baking. This allows the flavors to meld together, and it also makes it more convenient to have freshly baked turnovers in the morning.
How should I serve cherry turnovers?
Cherry turnovers are delicious on their own, but you can take them to the next level by serving them warm with a dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of glaze. They can also be paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra indulgent treat.
Can I use other fruit fillings instead of cherries?
Absolutely! Cherry turnovers can be customized with various fruit fillings. You can experiment with other fruits like apples, blueberries, raspberries, or peaches. Adjust the sweetness and spices according to the fruit you choose to achieve a perfect balance of flavors.
Are cherry turnovers suitable for special dietary needs?
Cherry turnovers can be adapted to suit certain dietary needs. For example, you can use gluten-free puff pastry or make your own gluten-free dough. Additionally, you can adjust the sweeteners or use alternative sweeteners for those with specific dietary requirements.
Can I add other ingredients to the cherry filling?
Yes, you can add other ingredients to the cherry filling to enhance the flavor. For example, you can incorporate a hint of almond extract or lemon zest to add depth and complexity. You can also mix in chopped nuts like almonds or walnuts for added texture and flavor.
Related Cherry Cake and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by