Simple Green Beans Casserole with Chicken Breast
Indulge in the comforting embrace of a Green Bean Casserole with Chicken Breast, a wholesome dish that beautifully combines tender chicken, crisp green beans, the savory sweetness of red onions, and the richness of chopped canned tomatoes. Topped with a creamy dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh parsley, this casserole offers a burst of delightful flavors and textures. Whether you're looking for a family-friendly weeknight dinner or a dish to impress at gatherings, this recipe promises to satisfy your taste buds with every hearty and satisfying bite.
- 70/2 (oz/kg) frozen or fresh green beans
- 50/1.5 (oz/kg) skinless boneless chicken breast
- 5-6 garlic cloves or to taste
- 5/150 (oz/g) red onions
- 9/250 (oz/g) canned peeled chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- some sour cream for serving (optional)
- some chopped parsley to taste (optional)
cut the chicken breast into medium-sized cubes or strips.
finely chop the garlic.
finely chop the red onions.
pour the oil into the crockpot and waite to heat up over a high temperature.
put the chicken breast in the pot.
season with salt and pepper to taste.
add the chopped onion and garlic when the chicken breast has turned white.
reduce the heat to a medium-low level and add the tomatoes.
add the green beans to the pot.
pour water or chicken stock, and put a lid on the pot.
cook the food for 30-40 minute or until the ingredients are tender.
serve the green bean casserole with chicken breast topped with sour cream and parsley (optional.)
Cooking Tips for the Best Results:
1. Cook Chicken Thoroughly: Ensure the chicken breasts are fully cooked before adding the rest of ingredients. You can achieve this by searing the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
2. Time Your Ingredients: Be mindful of the cooking times for each ingredient. Start with the chicken, then add the red onions and canned tomatoes to sauté until they soften. Finally, incorporate the green beans and cook until they’re tender.
3. Season Thoughtfully: Season your chicken breasts and other components of the casserole as you cook them. This step helps build layers of flavor within the dish.
4. Stir Gently: While the casserole is cooking on the stovetop, stir gently and occasionally to ensure even distribution of ingredients and flavors. Avoid vigorous stirring to prevent the green beans from breaking apart.
5. Garnish Before Serving: Add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh parsley just before serving. These garnishes provide a burst of flavor and a pleasing contrast to the casserole’s richness.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can substitute chicken thighs if you prefer. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time as thighs may require a slightly longer cooking period to ensure they are fully cooked.
Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes?
Absolutely, fresh tomatoes can be used in this recipe. However, consider peeling and seeding them before adding them to the casserole to achieve a smoother texture.
How do I prevent the green beans from overcooking and becoming mushy?
To prevent overcooking, add the green beans towards the end of the cooking process. This way, they’ll maintain their crispness and vibrant color.
Can I make this casserole in advance and reheat it?
Yes, you can make the casserole in advance and reheat it. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and reheat it in the oven or on the stovetop until it’s warmed through.
What other garnishes can I use besides sour cream and parsley?
You can get creative with garnishes. Some alternatives include grated Parmesan cheese, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, or a sprinkle of toasted breadcrumbs for added texture and flavor.
➡️ Enjoy cooking simple green bean casserole recipes from scratch! For additional info, read more here.