📖 Table of Contents
Homemade Chocolate Babka Recipe: A Decadent Delight for Addicted Chocolate Lovers
Homemade chocolate babka is a heavenly treat that combines rich chocolate swirls with a tender, buttery dough.
➡️ Chocolate babka is a sweet, moist bread that is traditionally made with a rich chocolate filling and a twisty, braided bread dough. It is believed to have originated in Eastern Europe, where it has been enjoyed for centuries as a special treat for holidays and celebrations. In recent years, chocolate babka has gained popularity in the United States as a tasty, indulgent dessert that is perfect for sharing with friends and family.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Chocolate Babka at Home from Scratch
Healthy Desserts Cookbook
If you’re ready to experience the taste of delicious and healthy dessert recipes, look no further than the “Healthy Desserts: A Low-Calorie Desserts Cookbook” cookbook.
Homemade Chocolate Babka Recipe
- 1 cup warm milk (110-115 degrees F)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 pieces eggs
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 piece egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- In a small bowl, combine the warm milk and yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until the yeast is activated and frothy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the flour mixture.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour in the yeast mixture. Increase the speed to medium and mix until the dough comes together and is smooth, which takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it briefly by hand. Place the dough in a large, greased bowl, cover it with a towel, and set it in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about 18×12 inches.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and 1 tbsp of water to create a chocolate filling. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Roll the dough tightly into a log shape, starting at one of the long sides. Pinch the edges together to seal the log.
- Carefully transfer the log to a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan. Cover the pan with a towel and set it in a warm place to rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and 1 tbsp of water. Brush the top of the babka with the egg wash.
- Bake the babka for 35-40 minutes, or until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the babka to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Making Homemade Chocolate Babka Is Real Gourmet Baking!
➡️ If you are interested in making babka at home, there are a few key things to keep in mind. First, it is important to use high-quality ingredients, as this will help to ensure that your final product is as delicious as possible. Look for good-quality cocoa powder and chocolate, as well as fresh, high-quality butter and eggs. It is also a good idea to use high-quality bread flour, as this will help to give your babka a soft, fluffy texture.
➡️ In conclusion, babka is a delicious, indulgent treat that has gained widespread popularity in the United States in recent years. With its rich, moist bread and rich, creamy chocolate filling, it is a recipe that is well worth trying if you are a fan of sweet, indulgent treats. Whether you are an experienced baker or a novice home cook, chocolate babka is a recipe that is easy to make and sure to be a hit with friends and family. For additional info, read more about babka!
➡️ I also recommend you to try other delicious bakba recipes available on this website such as authentic chocolate babka bread.
FAQs about Chocolate Babka
What is chocolate babka?
Chocolate babka is a sweet, yeast-based bread that originated in Eastern Europe. It is typically made with a rich, buttery dough that is swirled with layers of chocolate filling.
How is babka different from regular bread?
Babka is distinct from regular bread due to its sweet and indulgent nature. It is often enjoyed as a dessert or a sweet treat, rather than being used for savory purposes like regular bread.
What are the main ingredients in chocolate babka?
The main ingredients in traditional chocolate babka include flour, sugar, butter, eggs, yeast, milk, and chocolate. Additional ingredients such as vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nuts may also be used to enhance the flavor.
Can I make chocolate babka at home?
Yes, chocolate babka can be made at home. While it requires some time and effort due to the yeast-rising process, it can be a rewarding baking project for those who enjoy working with dough and creating delicious homemade treats.
How is chocolate babka typically served?
Chocolate babka is usually served sliced, either as is or slightly warmed. It can be enjoyed as a standalone dessert or accompanied by a cup of coffee or tea.
Can chocolate babka be frozen?
Yes, babka can be frozen for future consumption. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before freezing. When ready to enjoy, thaw it at room temperature or gently reheat individual slices in the oven.
Can I customize the filling of chocolate babka?
Absolutely! While chocolate is the traditional filling, you can experiment with different variations. Some popular alternatives include Nutella, cinnamon sugar, or even a combination of chocolate and nuts for added texture and flavor.
How long does chocolate babka stay fresh?
Freshly baked babka is best enjoyed within a day or two. However, if stored properly in an airtight container at room temperature, it can stay fresh for up to 3-4 days.
Related Loaf Bread Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by