📖 Table of Contents
Homemade Coconut Rice: Improve Your Diet with Healthy Recipes
Coconut rice is one of the most delicious side dish recipes you have ever cooked!
➡️ The coconut rice certainly sounds very exotic to many of you. But for a large part of the world’s population, cooking coconut rice is an everyday fact because it is one of the most popular side dishes or even main dishes.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Coconut Rice from Scratch at Home
Plant-Based Recipes Cookbook
If you’re ready to experience the taste of delicious plant-based recipes, look no further than the “Quick and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes” cookbook.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear.
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the rinsed rice, coconut milk, water, salt, and sugar (if using). Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and let the rice simmer for 18-20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Once the rice is done cooking, remove it from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then, fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the unsweetened shredded coconut (if using).
- Rinse the rice before cooking: It’s important to rinse the rice before cooking to remove any excess starch that can cause the rice to become too sticky or clumpy.
- Use a fine mesh strainer: Use a fine mesh strainer to rinse the rice, as this will help to remove any small debris or dust that may be present.
- Use jasmine rice: Jasmine rice is the best type of rice to use for coconut rice. It has a natural fragrance that pairs well with the coconut milk and adds an extra layer of flavor to the dish.
- Use a 1:1 ratio of coconut milk and water: To get the perfect creamy texture, it’s important to use a 1:1 ratio of coconut milk and water. This will ensure that the rice absorbs all the liquid and becomes perfectly cooked.
- Stir in shredded coconut for added texture: If you want to add a bit of texture to your coconut rice, you can stir in some unsweetened shredded coconut once the rice is done cooking. This will give the dish a bit of crunch and enhance the coconut flavor.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Making Coconut Rice at Home is Very Easy
➡️ As I mentioned in the beginning, cooking coconut rice is popular in all warm countries and therefore you will find various versions, some of which have become very popular all over the planet, especially the Thai and Jamaican ones.
➡️ Coconut rice is a perfect dish for summertime and all year round! If you need additional info, read more on coconut rice!
FAQs about Coconut Rice
What is coconut rice?
Coconut rice is a flavorful and aromatic rice dish that is cooked with coconut milk. It is a popular dish in many cuisines, including Southeast Asian and Caribbean.
How do I make coconut rice?
To make coconut rice, you’ll need rice, coconut milk, water, and salt. Simply combine the rice, coconut milk, water, and salt in a pot, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the rice is cooked and fluffy.
Can I use any type of rice for coconut rice?
While traditionally jasmine rice is used for coconut rice, you can also use other types of rice like basmati or long-grain rice. Just keep in mind that the cooking time and amount of liquid may vary slightly.
Is coconut rice sweet?
Coconut rice has a subtle sweetness that comes from the natural sweetness of coconut milk. However, it is not overly sweet and balances well with savory dishes.
Can I add other ingredients to coconut rice?
Yes, you can customize your coconut rice by adding ingredients like spices (such as turmeric or ginger), herbs (such as cilantro or basil), or even vegetables (like peas or carrots) to enhance the flavor and add more texture.
How should I serve coconut rice?
Coconut rice is versatile and can be served as a side dish alongside various curries, stir-fries, grilled meats, or seafood. It can also be enjoyed on its own with a sprinkle of fresh herbs or a squeeze of lime juice.
Can I make coconut rice ahead of time?
Yes, you can make coconut rice ahead of time and reheat it when needed. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, sprinkle some water over the rice and gently fluff it with a fork before microwaving or steaming it.
Can I freeze coconut rice?
Yes, coconut rice can be frozen. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Can I use light coconut milk instead of full-fat coconut milk?
Yes, you can use light coconut milk if you prefer a lighter version of coconut rice. However, keep in mind that the dish may be slightly less creamy and have a milder coconut flavor.
Can I make coconut rice without using a stove?
Yes, you can make coconut rice using alternative methods such as a rice cooker or an Instant Pot. Simply follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cooking rice using these appliances and substitute the water with coconut milk for the desired coconut flavor.
Related Rice Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by