📖 Table of Contents
Discover the Simplicity and Deliciousness of Homemade Chicken Curry: Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
Indulge in the aromatic allure of easy chicken curry recipes that bring a burst of vibrant flavors to your table.
➡️ Chicken curry, an enticing blend of flavors and cultures, takes us on a culinary adventure to regions deemed exotic by many North Americans. From the fragrant spices of Thailand to the fiery heat of Jamaica, and the aromatic curries of India and Sri Lanka, this beloved dish has roots in diverse corners of the world. So, prepare to embark on a tantalizing journey as I unravel the secrets of my easy chicken curry recipes, exploring its vibrant history and celebrating the cultural tapestry it represents.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make an Easy Chicken Curry from Scratch at Home
Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
- 1 lb chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 tbsp Sri Lankan red curry paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 can (13.5 fl oz) coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- salt, to taste
- fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, grated ginger, and slit green chilies to the pan. Sauté for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the Sri Lankan red curry paste, turmeric powder, chili powder, and paprika to the pan. Stir well to coat the onions and spices evenly.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and cook until they are browned on all sides.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water, and stir in the tomato paste and tamarind pulp. Season with salt to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the lid and let the curry simmer for an additional 5 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves before serving.
- Serve the Sri Lankan Chicken Curry hot with steamed rice or naan bread.
- Adjust the spice level by adding more or less chili powder and green chilies according to your preference.
- For a richer and creamier curry, use full-fat coconut milk.
- If you prefer a milder curry, you can reduce the amount of red curry paste.
- Marinating the chicken with a mixture of yogurt, turmeric, and salt for 30 minutes before cooking can enhance the flavor and tenderness of the meat.
- Don’t skip the tamarind pulp as it adds a tangy and slightly sour taste to the curry. If you don’t have tamarind pulp, you can substitute it with a squeeze of lemon juice.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Cooking an Easy Chicken Curry at Home is a Breeze!
One of the best-known curry chicken recipes is a delicious and healthy dish made with chicken, coconut milk, and spices. It’s fragrant, creamy, and full of flavor – the perfect light dinner when you’re craving something simple but tasty. The best part is that it’s so easy to make: all you need to do is cook your chicken, throw in the spices, and let it simmer until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. That’s it – you can serve the dinner!
FAQs about Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
What is Sri Lankan Chicken Curry?
Sri Lankan Chicken Curry is a flavorful and aromatic dish that originates from Sri Lanka. It is a curry made with chicken pieces cooked in a rich and spicy sauce, infused with a blend of traditional Sri Lankan spices and ingredients.
What makes Sri Lankan Chicken Curry unique?
Sri Lankan Chicken Curry stands out for its bold and vibrant flavors. The combination of spices like turmeric, chili powder, paprika, and Sri Lankan curry powder creates a distinctive taste that sets it apart from other chicken curries.
Can I adjust the level of spiciness in Sri Lankan Chicken Curry?
Absolutely! The spiciness of the curry can be adjusted according to your personal preference. You can increase or decrease the amount of chili powder and green chilies to control the heat. It’s a versatile dish that can cater to different spice tolerances.
Related Chicken Curry Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by