📖 Table of Contents
Authentic Mexican Pork Chile Verde: A Savory Delight of Tender Pork and Green Chiles
Indulge in the mouth-watering flavors of my tantalizing Pork Chile Verde recipe, packed with tender pork, vibrant green chiles, and a medley of Mexican aromatic spices!
➡️ Did you ever cook a Chile Verde recipe or, at least, did you ever hear of this Mexican food? Possibly not, but you should start to learn to cook Chile Verde right now because it’s both very tasty and healthy even if it features pork.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Pork Chile Verde from Scratch at Home
Authentic Mexican Pork Chile Verde
- 2 lb pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Anaheim peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced green chiles
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the pork cubes and brown them on all sides. Remove the pork from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the diced Anaheim peppers and minced jalapeño peppers to the pot. Sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Return the browned pork cubes to the pot. Stir in the diced green chiles, chicken broth, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover the pot and let it cook over low heat for 2 hours, or until the pork becomes tender and easily shreds.
- Once the pork is tender, use a fork to shred it into smaller pieces.
- Continue cooking the Chile Verde uncovered for another 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the authentic Mexican pork chile verde hot, garnished with freshly chopped cilantro. It pairs perfectly with warm tortillas, rice, or refried beans.
- For optimal flavor, choose a marbled cut of pork shoulder, such as Boston butt, which will become tender and juicy during the slow cooking process.
- Browning the pork cubes before simmering adds depth and richness to the final dish. Take the time to sear them on all sides until they develop a golden brown crust.
- If you prefer a spicier Chile Verde, you can leave some or all of the seeds in the jalapeño peppers, or even add additional peppers according to your heat preference.
- To enhance the flavors, allow the Chile Verde to cool and refrigerate it overnight. Reheat it the next day to enjoy even more robust and delicious flavors.
- Leftover Chile Verde can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, allowing the flavors to meld further. It can also be frozen for future enjoyment.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
You’ll Enjoy Cooking any Chile Verde Recipe at Home
➡️In Mexico, green chile is used in everything from sauces and stews to dips and salsas. Today, one of the famous Mexican dishes is Chile Verde, which is a pork stew in a rich, creamy green chile sauce. As with almost any Mexican food, all Chile Verde recipes are spicy, no matter whether they feature pork, beef, or chicken. Chile Verde is absolutely delicious but it’s also REALLY spicy. But actually, this is a good thing! Did you know that spicy food has significant health benefits for your body?
➡️ As you wrap up your culinary adventure with this delectable Mexican Pork Chile Verde recipe, you have unlocked the vibrant flavors and rich traditions of Mexican cuisine. The combination of tender pork, tangy green chiles, and aromatic spices has created a symphony of taste that will leave you craving for more.
➡️ Whether enjoyed on its own, paired with warm tortillas, or served over rice, this dish is sure to impress your family and friends with its authentic flavors and comforting appeal. So, don your apron, gather the ingredients, and let the enticing aroma of Pork Chile Verde fill your kitchen as you embark on a culinary journey to Mexico. Buen provecho! If you need additional info, read more on chile verde.
FAQs about Mexican Pork Chile Verde Recipes
What is Mexican Pork Chile Verde?
Mexican Pork Chile Verde is a flavorful dish made with tender pork simmered in a rich green chili sauce. It is a traditional Mexican recipe known for its vibrant flavors and comforting appeal.
What are the key ingredients in Pork Chile Verde?
The key ingredients in Pork Chile Verde include pork shoulder or pork loin, green chilies (such as Anaheim or poblano), onions, garlic, tomatillos, chicken broth, and a blend of aromatic spices like cumin, oregano, and cilantro.
How do I make Pork Chile Verde?
To make Pork Chile Verde, start by browning the pork in a pot, then add onions, garlic, and green chilies. Next, add tomatillos, spices, and chicken broth. Simmer the mixture until the pork is tender and the flavors meld together. Serve the Pork Chile Verde with warm tortillas, rice, or as desired.
Can I adjust the spiciness of Pork Chile Verde?
Yes, you can adjust the spiciness of Pork Chile Verde to suit your taste preferences. If you prefer a milder version, you can use mild green chilies or reduce the amount of chili peppers in the recipe. Conversely, if you like it spicier, you can use hotter chili peppers or add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Can I make Pork Chile Verde in a slow cooker?
Absolutely! Pork Chile Verde can be made in a slow cooker for added convenience. Simply follow the recipe instructions, but instead of simmering on the stovetop, transfer the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low heat for several hours until the pork is tender and the flavors meld together.
What are some serving suggestions for Pork Chile Verde?
Pork Chile Verde is delicious on its own or served with warm tortillas, rice, or even as a filling for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. You can also garnish it with fresh cilantro, sliced radishes, diced avocado, or a squeeze of lime juice for added freshness.
Can I make Pork Chile Verde ahead of time?
Yes, Pork Chile Verde is a great make-ahead dish. In fact, its flavors often develop even further when reheated. You can store it in the refrigerator for a few days or freeze it for longer storage. Just make sure to cool it properly before refrigerating or freezing in airtight containers.
Related Mexican Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by