Homemade fig rolls recipes – how to make fig rolls with candied orange peel in 22 steps at home.
View this video about how to make fig rolls by using a traditional fig rolls recipe with dried fig and candied orange peel!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 500 g/17.5 oz + 6-8 tbsp of cake flour
2) 100 ml/3.4 fl oz of cow milk
3) 25 g/0.9 oz of fresh yeast
4) 70 g/2.5 oz of granulated sugar
5) 2 egg yolks
6) 1 egg
7) 70 g/2.5 oz of butter at room temperature
8) 1 tsp of vanilla extract
9) 1 tsp of salt
10) grated zest from an orange
11) 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
12) 150 g/5.5 oz of dried fig
13) 150 g/5.5 oz of candied orange peel (see how to make candied orange peel)
14) 50 ml/1.7 fl oz of lukewarm water
15) 1-2 tbsp of Amaretto liqueur (bitter almond seed liqueur, optional)
16) some caster sugar to ornate the fig rolls (optional)
1) put yeast cube in a mug, crush it coarsely and add a teaspoon of sugar and 4 tablespoons of milk, then mix ingredients well
2) put 500 g/17.5 oz of sifted flour in a large bowl, then pour inside yeast mixture, cover the pot and wait about 5-10 minutes to activate the yeast
3) meanwhile, put egg yolks in a bowl, add remaining sugar and 4-5 tablespoons of milk, then mix ingredients well
4) put a teaspoon of vanilla extract and grated zest from an orange into the rest of the milk, then mix ingredients
5) pour contents of the yolk bowl into milk bowl and combine ingredients again
6) after the yeast has activated, put a teaspoon of salt in the milk bowl, mix and pour contents into the flour bowl
7) add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and half of the butter, then mix ingredients by hand until you get a smooth, non-sticky, and slightly elastic dough
8) cover dough bowl, place it in a warm place (for example on the stove while the oven is set to the minimum temperature), and wait 40-60 minutes to leaven the dough
9) meanwhile, chop dried figs into small pieces, place them in a bowl and add a little warm water and a few tablespoons of almond liqueur (optional) to moist figs
10) chop candied orange peel into very small cubes
11) sprinkle some flour on the worktop and place dough on it
12) spread dough into a sheet of about 1 cm/0.4 inch thickness, then spread about half of the remaining butter (must be very soft) all over its surface
13) fold dough sheet just like in the video, then spread dough again into a sheet just like the first time
14) brush dough again with the remaining butter and sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour all over
15) sprinkle candied orange peel and fig cubes on dough sheet
16) roll filled dough sheet as tightly as possible just like in the video
17) cut and remove the ends, then take a sharp knife and cut the roll into rounds of about 1-2 fingers thickness (3-4 cm/1.2-1.6 inch)
18) lay fig rolls down on a tray coated with baking paper, leave some space between rolls to grow enough during baking
19) break an egg, beat it with a fork up, and brush fig cake
20) put the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C / 360 F and bake this delicious fig cake until turns golden brown (about 30 minutes)
21) take the tray out from the oven and wait for the cake to cool about 5-10 minutes
22) sprinkle powdered sugar over the fig cinnamon rolls as desired (optional)
Most cinnamon roll recipes are made with leavened dough, but there are also versions that are made with another type of dough such as puff pastry dough.
This type of cake seems to come from Scandinavia but is very popular in countries in North America such as the US and Canada.
Because it’s a simple and tasty homemade cake, the fig rolls recipe become more and more appreciated all over the world.
Cinnamon roll cake is, basically, a sweet roll prepared only with flour, butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Today, there are available cinnamon roll recipes with various fillings.
The fig rolls recipe presented on this page is based on a classic cinnamon roll recipe.
If you don’t have at disposal or you dislike orange peel, it can be replaced with the same amount of dried figs.
Enjoy the fig rolls recipe with candied orange peel!
Read more about various cinnamon rolls types here.