📖 Table of Contents
Homemade Cremeschnitte Recipes: Fresh Strawberry Custard Cake
My strawberry custard cake recipe or strawberry cremeschnitte is one of the most delicious fresh strawberry cake recipes you’ve ever made at home. View the recipe and video below!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
Strawberry Cremeschnitte (Strawberry Custard Slice)
- 18/500 (oz/g) fresh strawberries
- 15/450 (oz/g) granulated sugar
- 4.5/120 (oz/g) vanilla pudding powder
- 24/1 (fl oz/l) cow milk
- 10/300 (fl oz/ml) sweet whipped cream
- 5.5/150 (oz/g) butter at room temperature, cubed
- 12/350 (oz/g) creamy sweet cow cheese/mascarpone
- 0.35/10 (oz/g) cake gelatin
- 3.5/100 (fl oz/ml) cold water
- 21/600 (oz/g) cremeschnitte pastry (3 sheets of 40×20 cm/15×7.5 inches)
- powdered sugar for garnish
- some fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)
- after washing and draining, chop the strawberries, then place them into a pot.
- add 300 g/10 oz of granulated sugar over the chopped strawberries and combine the ingredients, then simmer them over a low temperature until you get a jam-like sauce (about 20-30 minutes.)
- wait to cool the strawberry sauce to room temperature.
- meanwhile, place the pudding powder into a pot, add 150 g/5.5 oz of granulated sugar and milk, mix the ingredients, then boil them as instructed on the package.
- cover the vanilla pudding with food foil and wait to cool to room temperature or until becomes creamy and thick.
- whip the sweet cream as instructed on the package.
- after the pudding is cold, stir it with the hand mixer until you get a very creamy consistency again.
- add the butter to the pudding and combine them until you get a smooth vanilla custard.
- into another bowl, stir the sweet cheese (mascarpone) with the mixer until it has a very creamy consistency.
- add gradually, in small quantities, from the jam-like strawberries while mixing the ingredients until you incorporated the whole quantity.
- add the whipped cream, then combine the ingredients gently by hand (VERY IMPORTANT!)
- dissolve the cake gelatin in water as instructed on the package, then add it to the strawberry cream and combine by hand.
- place a large food foil layer over your platter (about double of its surface size), then lay over it a pastry sheet in the middle.
- spread the vanilla custard filling over the pastry sheet into an even layer.
- place over the custard the second pastry sheet and press gently with your palms to fix it.
- spread the strawberry cream into an even layer.
- break the third pastry sheet into very small pieces by hand or kitchen robot, then place them on the cake top evenly (optional); you can also place the whole sheet without breaking it; if you have just two pastry layers, you can intersperse the strawberry filling between two custard layers.
- tighten the foil over the cake to avoid flowing the cream on the sides.
- place the strawberry slice cake into the fridge for at least 6 hours to harden both the vanilla custard and strawberry cream filling.
- remove the foil and sprinkle over the powdered sugar in abundance.
- cut the edges by using a very sharp knife to be straight (optional), then slice the cake up as desired in smaller pieces.
- serve the strawberry cremeschnitte topped with fresh strawberries (optional.)
Preparation Tips for the Best Results:
- Chill Your Ingredients: Before assembling your Cremeschnitte, ensure that the pastry layers, custard, and strawberry cream are thoroughly chilled. This helps maintain the integrity of the layers and prevents them from becoming soggy.
- Work Quickly: Pastry layers can become soft when exposed to moisture for too long. Assemble the dessert swiftly to retain the crispness of the layers and the texture of the custard and cream.
- Evenly Spread the Custard and Strawberry Cream: When layering the custard and strawberry cream, use a spatula to spread them evenly. This ensures a consistent and balanced flavor in each bite.
- Use Ripe Strawberries: For the strawberry cream layer, select ripe and sweet strawberries. This not only enhances the flavor but also imparts a vibrant color to the cream, making the dessert visually appealing.
- Dust Powdered Sugar Just Before Serving: To maintain the aesthetic appeal, sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the Strawberry Cremeschnitte just before serving. This prevents the sugar from dissolving into the cream or pastry layers, ensuring a delightful finishing touch.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
FAQs about the Fresh Strawberry Cake Cremeschnitte
Can I make the pastry layers from scratch, or should I use store-bought puff pastry?
While you can make the pastry layers from scratch, using store-bought puff pastry is a convenient and time-saving option. It provides the same flakiness and crisp texture, making it an excellent choice.
How can I prevent the custard from becoming lumpy when cooking it?
To avoid lumpy custard, stir constantly over low to medium heat and gradually add the milk while whisking the custard mixture. If lumps do form, you can strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve to remove them.
Can I substitute the strawberry cream with other fruit flavors, like raspberry or mango?
Yes, you can certainly experiment with different fruit flavors for the cream layer. Feel free to use your favorite fruits or combinations to create a unique and personalized Cremeschnitte.
How far in advance can I prepare strawberry cremeschnitte for an event or gathering?
You can assemble this fresh strawberry cake a few hours in advance, but it’s best to refrigerate it until just before serving to maintain the freshness of the layers and fillings.
Can I use frozen strawberries for the strawberry cream layer?
While fresh strawberries are preferred for their flavor and texture, you can use frozen strawberries for the cream layer. Just ensure they are fully thawed and drained of excess liquid to avoid a runny cream layer.
📖 Cooking article by