Final Notes for the Macaroni Cheese Recipe with Garlic
➡️ Below are a few tips to get the best results when cooking my macaroni cheese recipe:
- Even if the macaroni ‘n’ cheese recipe can be made with any type of spaghetti or macaroni, I recommend using an assortment of pasta made from durum wheat because it has a firmer consistency and behaves much better when baked in the oven. It also absorbs sour cream much better, which makes the pasta more tender and juicy in the end.
- From my experience, the best cheese type for cooking macaroni and cheese is Cheddar, but other matured cheese sorts lead to great results such as Gruyère, Emmental, Parmesan, Pecorino, and so on.
- The amount of garlic used in the recipe depends entirely on your taste, however, I recommend using at least a teaspoon of granulated garlic or 1-2 grated garlic cloves for a slight garlic flavor. Usually, I double these quantities for a stronger flavor because I really love the garlic taste in food!
- Don’t overcook the macaroni cheese because it will become dry, at the moment when the top of the cheese layer is golden, you know that the food is ready.
- Allow a few minutes for the macaroni to soak up the sour cream and for the top cheese layer to harden a bit before serving.
- Even if using fresh aromatic herbs is not mandatory, I still recommend adding them on top for more flavor in the plate.
➡️ Enjoy cooking macaroni cheese from scratch! For additional info, read more about different pasta dishes here.