Easy strudel recipe to make German apple strudel with fresh apples, phyllo dough, raisins, cinnamon, and more simple and tasty ingredients.
Learn in this baking video how to make German apple strudel at home from scratch using an easy apple cake recipe with fresh apples and phyllo dough!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 1,5 kg /50 oz of sweet apples
2) 100 g/3.5 oz of butter
3) 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
4) 800 g/25 oz of dough sheets, bought or homemade (12 sheets)
5) 3×2 tbsp + 3×3 tbsp of semolina
6) 3×6 tbsp of granulated sugar
7) 3×1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
8) 3×1 tbsp of raisins (optional)
9) 1 egg
10) caster sugar for garnishing (optional)
1) peel off and remove stubs, then grate apples coarsely
2) cut butter into small cubes, put it in a small saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of oil to avoid burning, put the saucepan on the stove over a medium temperature, and wait until softens
3) brush 4 dough sheets with melted butter and place them on top of each other as in the video
4) sprinkle two tablespoons of semolina on the last dough sheet into a strip
5) squeeze the apple juice by hand and put about 1/3 of the amount of grated apple over semolina
6) sprinkle 6-8 tablespoons of sugar over the apples, according to your taste and apple’s sweetness
7) sprinkle over sugar about half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder or to taste
8) sprinkle over cinnamon about one tablespoon of raisins (optional)
9) sprinkle 3 tablespoons of semolina over raisins
10) bend the edges of the sheets on the long sides inwards, as in the video, then roll the dough sheets together with the filling as tight as possible
11) put apple pie on a tray coated with baking paper
12) continue in the same way with the rest of the ingredients and prepare the other 2 rolls
13) break the egg into a bowl, beat it up with a fork, then brush the top and sides of the rolls
14) put the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and bake this delicious German apple strudel until it’s browned (20-25 minutes)
15) take the tray out from the oven and wait for the apple cake to cool to room temperature
16) remove the ends, then cut the rolls into pieces of the desired size
17) sprinkle over cake some caster sugar as desired (recommended)
Almost everyone heard about strudel because it’s one of the most famous recipes for classic homemade cakes that are highly appreciated even today.
For those who don’t know, the strudel is a pie with several dough sheets and various fillings, usually sweet. This traditional cake has Austrian origins and is therefore called Wiener strudel.
Because it’s extremely delicious, the strudel has become famous outside the borders of the country of origin and today it’s prepared in many other countries such as Germany and those that were part of the former Habsburg Empire.
Furthermore, the strudel is now widely known worldwide and especially in the US and Canada, countries with large numbers of immigrants from the Old Continent.
Among the many Wiener strudel types, the most popular are apple strudel, pumpkin strudel, cherry strudel, and sweet cow cheese strudel. However, other types of strudel are more and more appreciated nowadays, such as apricot strudel, plum strudel, and pear strudel.
Some fruit strudel recipes include raisins, but using this ingredient is optional. However, I like more strudel with raisins, so I recommend to use them when baking this homemade cake recipe.
The pastry sheets can be bought from the store. They can be prepared at home as well, but the process is quite complicated and takes a lot of time.
Apart from that, there is practically no quality difference between the commercial sheets and those made at home, and therefore it’s not worth the effort to prepare them.
This type of German apple pie can be made with both phyllo dough and puff pastry dough. This page presents the German apple strudel recipe with phyllo dough, which is also known as filo dough.
The German apple strudel is identical with the Austrian version.
Whatever you call it, this apple pie is particularly tasty. Therefore, I recommend you to prepare it as soon as possible!
Enjoy the German apple strudel!
If you want to read more about the origins of the strudels go here!
baking apple cake | baking apple strudel | German Cakes | German recipes