Easy poppy seed roll recipe to make Mohnstriezel for Christmas, Easter, and other events in the German style.
Learn in this video how to make poppy seed cake from scratch by using a German Mohnstriezel poppy seed roll cake recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade German cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 3 cups of all-purpose flour
2) 1 cup of granulated sugar
3) 1 cup of pork lard at room temperature
4) zest from a lemon
5) 10 g/0.35 oz of baking powder
6) 10 g/0.35 oz of dried yeast
7) 250 ml/9 fl oz of cold cow milk
8) 2 eggs
9) 900 g/30 oz of poppy seed filling (bought from the store or homemade – view how to make poppy seed filling at home)
10) 9 tbsp of strawberry jam (optional)
11) some caster sugar for decoration (optional)
1) put the flour into a larger bowl, then add sugar and pork lard
2) grate zest from a lemon in the bowl
3) put baking powder and yeast in the milk, combine ingredients until everything is dissolved, then wait about 5 minutes
4) in the meantime, combine by hand ingredients from the bowl by rubbing them just like in the video
5) break and add one egg and the milk into the bowl, then combine again ingredients
6) when the dough is smooth, flour a worktop, place dough on it and knead it for 1-2 minutes
7) divide the dough into 3 equal parts and stretch them into sheets with a length that fits into the tray you are using
8) place about 1/3 of the poppy seed filling over a dough sheet into a thin layer, just like in the video
9) add 3 tbsp of strawberry jam over the poppy seed layer into a row along the longer edge, just like in the video
10) roll the dough sheet and fillings as tight as possible, then seal the ends
11) place the poppy seed roll cake into a baking-paper coated tray, then continue identically with the remaining dough sheets and poppy seed filling
12) break one egg into a glass and beat it up by fork, then brush the poppy seed cake all over
13) place the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and wait until the German poppy seed cake, called Mohnstriezel, is golden on top and sides
14) take the tray out from the oven and wait until the cake is completely cold before slicing it up as desired
15) sprinkle over this homemade poppy seed cake abundant caster sugar (optional)
The German poppy seed cake is very popular in several European countries including Hungary, where is named beigli or poppy seed beigli.
The cake is prepared, generally, during winter and especially at Christmas, when everyone delights the guests with such traditional poppy seed cake.
Walnut beigli is also very popular at Christmas, especially in Hungary, but also in Austria and several Central European countries.
The German poppy seed cake Mohnstriezel is served usually plain, as a dessert, but it is very good along with tea or coffee.
Many families serve poppy seed beigli or walnut beigli with a glass of milk at breakfast. This combination is a real pleasure for both children and grown-ups! Enjoy it!
Usually, beigli is filled with poppyseed paste or walnut core paste. Still, there are available recipes that use other fillings for beigli such as chestnut puree.
More information about beigli origins is available here.