Learn in this video how to make lamb shank soup from scratch by using the authentic avgolemono recipe or Greek lemon lamb soup recipe with sour cream!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY Greek food! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 700 g/25 oz of carrots
2) 300 g/10 oz of parsnip root or celery root
3) 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
4) 1,5 kg/50 oz of spring lamb meat (lamb shank, lamb neck, lamb ribs)
5) 6 egg yolks
6) 600 g/21 oz of Greek yogurt (20% fat) or sour cream (20% fat)
7) a handful of fresh tarragon leaves or 1 tsp of dried tarragon
8) 2-3 lemons, depending on your taste
1) peel root vegetables off, cube them into small pieces and place them into a high pot
2) season vegetables with salt or salted red pepper paste for food seasoning
3) pour about 2 spoons of oil into the pot and water just to cover vegetables completely
4) place the pot on the stovetop over high temperature and simmer vegetables until partly soft (about 5-10 minutes)
5) meanwhile, cut spring lamb meat into smaller pieces and remove excess fat if necessary
6) place the meat into the pot, fill the pot up with water and boil the soup over low temperature until all ingredients are tender (about 45 minutes), remove several times the fat from the soup surface with a spoon if necessary
7) right before the soup is ready, break eggs, separate the yolks and whites, then place yolks into a bowl
8) season egg yolks with a pinch of salt, add sour cream or yogurt, then stir ingredients by hand to combine well
9) add tarragon and mix again until smooth
10) place about 2 ladles of hot lamb broth into the bowl and stir to combine ingredients
11) reduce temperature, pour the mixture into the pot and mix well, then wait until the soup starts bubbling
12) squeeze juice from lemons, remove seeds, add it to the soup, mix and serve it immediately
Lamb soup is one of my favorite soup recipes. I cook such soup as many times as I have the opportunity and especially during Easter season when fresh spring lamb meat can be found in abundance.
Cooking soup with lamb is pretty easy and I use several recipes. Often, I have problems to choose the recipe that I use because I like all of them!
The best parts from lamb to cook soup include lamb shank, lamb ribs, and lamb neck. Many people don’t know how to use these lamb cuts, so here is the chance to learn a soup recipe that helps you to use the whole lamb and cook very delicious food!
Since it’s very easy, there are not many cooking tips to share about this lamb shank soup recipe.
Maybe the most important advice is to use quality meat, namely free-range spring lamb meat as many times as you can. Sure, any kind of lamb is proper to make soup, but spring lamb has a special flavor that can’t be compared with anything else!
Another important advice is to remove excess fat from the meat. I mean, remove any larger fat part because it gives the soup an unpleasant taste. To avoid this, also remove fat accumulating to the soup surface while boiling.
Finally, cook Greek lamb soup over low temperatures to allow the meat time to soften well.
Enjoy Greek lamb soup or lamb avgolemono soup!
Read more about lamb dishes here!