📖 Table of Contents
How to Cook Spinach Recipes: French Creamed Spinach
My authentic French creamed spinach recipe is one of the tastiest spinach recipes you have ever cooked!
➡️ Many of you have probably heard that spinach recipes are healthy and enrich the diet with a lot of vitamins and minerals that are very important to your body. However, spinach doesn’t attract you at all, and you avoid cooking recipes that feature spinach. Have you ever wondered why?
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Cook Creamed Spinach at Home from Scratch
Plant-Based Recipes Cookbook
If you’re ready to experience the taste of delicious plant-based recipes, look no further than the “Quick and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes” cookbook.
Authentic French Creamed Spinach
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Cook the butter and flour mixture, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes until it begins to turn light golden in color.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Continue to cook the sauce, stirring constantly, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. This should take about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and minced garlic.
- Add the fresh spinach leaves to the pan and toss to coat them with the sauce.
- Cook the spinach for 3-5 minutes until it is wilted and tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the spinach cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Use fresh spinach leaves for the best flavor and texture. Avoid using frozen spinach, as it can become watery and mushy when cooked.
- Don’t overcook the spinach. It should be tender and wilted, but still have some texture and bite.
- Be sure to wash the spinach leaves thoroughly before cooking to remove any dirt or grit.
- Use a whisk to stir the sauce constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- For a richer flavor, you can add a splash of heavy cream or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese to the sauce.
- If you prefer a smoother texture, you can blend the sauce in a blender or food processor before adding the spinach.
- This dish is best served immediately, but can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop if needed.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Cooking Spinach Recipes at Home is Quick and Easy!
➡️ Even if fresh spinach leaves are delicious, they may not convince you…until you don’t taste one of the recipes I’ve listed below. Of course, I often cook frozen spinach as well because sometimes I don’t have time to buy fresh leaves at the market. The frozen version is as good as the fresh spinach, so cook it as often as you can.
➡️ There are few vegetables I love as much as spinach. I eat it often, and it’s especially good when cooked. I enjoy spinach in a lot of different ways, such as a side dish, a salad, or even in soup. If you need additional info, read more on spinach!
FAQ’s for Cooking French Creamed Spinach Recipes
What is French creamed spinach?
French creamed spinach is a classic French side dish that is made with spinach, cream, butter, and spices.
What are the ingredients for French creamed spinach?
The ingredients for French creamed spinach include spinach, butter, onion, flour, milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Parmesan cheese.
How do you make French creamed spinach?
To make French creamed spinach, you first need to cook the spinach in a sauté pan with butter until it is wilted. Then you add cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the pan and simmer until the cream is thickened. Finally, you add Parmesan cheese to the pan and stir until it is melted.
What are some variations of French creamed spinach?
Some variations of French creamed spinach include adding garlic or shallots to the dish for extra flavor.
How long does it take to make French creamed spinach?
It takes about 30 minutes to make French creamed spinach from start to finish.
Related Spinach Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by The Passionate Gourmet.