Easy cooking Hungarian home fries recipe – how to make cottage fries in 8 steps at home just like in Hungary.
Learn in this cooking video how to make home fries from scratch using a yummy and easy cottage fries recipe in the Hungarian style!
SUPER YUMMY homemade fries recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY cooking home fries! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) boil potatoes with the skin on in salted water until soft
2) take potatoes out from the water, wait to cool a bit to avoid hand burning, then peel them off
3) cut potatoes in medium-sized slices (about 1 finger width) or into medium-sized cubes
4) place potatoes into a frying skillet, add more salt if necessary, then put over some vegetable oil or pork lard
5) place the skillet on the stovetop over high temperature and fry potatoes until golden on the bottom (DON’T MIX THEM UNTIL AREN’T FRIED!)
6) flip potatoes and fry them evenly on the other side
7) take potatoes out from the skillet and drain well the oil or lard
8) sprinkle over cottage fries the garlic powder or fresh garlic cloves, then the sweet paprika, just before serving
Potatoes are, without a doubt, the vegetables preferred by many people. Therefore, potato recipes are numerous in all countries where this vegetable of American origin is grown and consumed.
Most of you know about French-style fries, which the Belgians seem to have actually invented. The controversy is still alive today and both countries claim the credit for inventing the French fries recipe that conquered the planet.
I will not enter into this controversy because on this page I offer you a recipe for cottage fries or home fries, doesn’t matter how do you name them, from Hungary.
The country-style recipe involves cooking potatoes in 2 stages, namely first boiling them and then frying them in hot oil or lard.
This technique is used because, by boiling them in their skins, the potatoes do not absorb much oil during frying. In addition, on the outside, they have a golden and crunchy crust and on the inside, they are soft and fluffy.
This combination is very tasty and fits perfectly with any type of roast and especially with roasted pork cuts such as pork neck (Boston butt), pork ribs, bone-in pork loin, and so on.
As for the flavors used in this home fries recipe in the pan, they are typically Hungarian. Paprika is a spice that in Hungary is used in almost any food, so it could not be missing from cottage fries. By the way, if you like spicy food, you can use hot paprika instead of sweet.
Garlic is also widely used and in large quantities, so it offers an aroma that you will find in most Hungarian foods.
To not forget, serve these potatoes while they are hot, especially if you fried them in pork or duck lard (if you don’t like pork).
Enjoy the Hungarian home fries recipe!
More information about making home fries is available here.
cooking home fries | cooking cottage fries | cooking fries | cooking potatoes | Hungarian food | Hungarian recipes