Learn in this video how to make homemade au gratin potatoes by using a yummy and easy potato gratin recipe from scratch!
SUPER YUMMY homemade scalloped potatoes recipe by www.HomemadeRecipesfromScratch.com! ENJOY IT! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) boil potatoes in salted water until soft
2) into another pot, boil 6 eggs in salted water until yolks are hard
3) drain water from eggs, then wait to cool to room temperature
4) drain water from potatoes and wait to cool to room temperature
5) remove the shell from eggs and slice them up
6) peel potatoes off and slice them up into rounds of about half a finger
7) while boiling potatoes, do slice smoked sausage up into thin rounds
8) pour little oil into a skillet and place it on the stovetop over medium temperature
9) when oil is hot, place sausage into the skillet and fry it slightly, just to brown very little
10) remove skillet from heat and wait to cool sausages to room temperature
11) pour oil used to fry sausages into a heat-proof dish or into a basic baking tray
12) spread oil all over to grease the dish thoroughly, remove oil excess if necessary
13) place a layer of boiled potatoes into the dish (about half of the potatoes)
14) place a layer of boiled eggs over potatoes
15) season food with salt and ground black pepper to taste
16) place fried sausages over eggs
17) place remaining potatoes over sausage into a layer
18) separate remaining eggs into yolks and whites
19) add a pinch of salt over whites and whisk them by mixer until hard
20) mix yolks by a fork until smooth, then pour them over whites
21) mix gently ingredients by hand to combine ingredients
22) add sour cream into the bowl and mix again ingredients slowly by hand until you get a smooth mixture like a sauce
23) pour mixture over ingredients from the first dish
24) shake the dish well to enter sauce between ingredients
25) place dish into the preheated oven at 200 C / 390 F and bake food until golden on top (DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN UNTIL READY!) – this step takes about 25-30 minutes
26) take the dish out from the tray and wait 15-30 minutes before serving to harden the sauce
27) split food into 6 or 8 servings and serve homemade au gratin potatoes along with pickles or fresh vegetable salad (recommended)
It’s useless to say that in every country are various potato recipes. However, some of the most renowned food recipes featuring potatoes among ingredients come from France. Most of you probably heard about au gratin potatoes (named in some countries scalloped potatoes or potato bake), which is the most popular potato gratin recipe in this country.
Because of the potato gratin fame, in many countries is available a popular homemade au gratin potatoes recipe. This happens in Hungary as well, a country where you’ll find a specific homemade au gratin recipe that I call Hungarian potato gratin.
I won’t enter in details about authentic potato gratin recipes from France. The homemade au gratin potatoes recipe presented on this page is based on a French potato gratin recipe but is prepared in the Hungarian style.
The main difference between my homemade au gratin recipe and a traditional potato gratin recipe is the use of smoked sausage and boiled eggs, which is not typical for French recipes.
I use most often for this easy potato gratin recipe Hungarian sausages with spicy or sweet paprika. Other times I use Polish kielbasa. Of course, other similar sausage types can be used to make this gratin recipe.
What is important regarding sausages is to use half raw sausages if you are going to fry them. If you have drier sausages at hand, skip the frying process and place sausage slices into the tray as they are.
Regarding the “sauce” that I use for my easy potato gratin recipe, it isn’t actually a sauce but is excellent to get the souffle effect that I’m looking for in the food. Plus it’s very tasty and combines very well with the rest of the ingredients!
An important thing to keep in mind when you make the mixture is to combine slowly the ingredients by hand and add yolks and sour cream in different steps.
Finally, don’t open the oven door while baking because you’re in danger to ruin the souffle layer from the top of the scalloped potatoes due to the cold air entering into the stove!
I know that you want to try this very delicious homemade au gratin potatoes recipe, but please be patient when taking out the food from the stove to let enough time to harden the souffle sauce and enjoy potato gratin at its maximum value.
Enjoy the homemade au gratin potatoes recipe!
Read more about potato gratin origins here!