📖 Table of Contents
Cooking Chicken Pot Pie with Leftover Chicken Roast at Home
My leftover chicken roast recipe is one of the most delicious chicken pie recipes you have ever cooked!
➡️ It’s spring and chicken pot pie isn’t the first dish you think of when planning dinner or Sunday lunch. However, you should reconsider this classic comfort food because it is extremely useful in the barbecue season.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie from Scratch at Home
Chicken Pot Pie
For the pie crust
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup ice water or a bit more as needed
For the filling
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To make the pie crust, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the cold butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, starting with 1/4 cup, and mix until the dough comes together. If the dough is still crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it forms a ball.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a disk. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, in a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Gradually add the chicken broth and milk, whisking constantly, until the mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Add the shredded chicken, frozen peas, frozen carrots, salt, black pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Stir to combine and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll out one of the chilled dough disks on a floured surface to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Transfer the dough to the pie dish and trim the edges. Fill the pie crust with the chicken and vegetable filling.
- Roll out the second chilled dough disk on a floured surface and cut into strips to create a lattice top. Brush the edges of the bottom crust with egg wash and lay the strips over the filling, weaving them into a lattice pattern. Brush the top crust with egg wash.
- Bake the chicken pot pie for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Use cold butter when making the pie crust, as this will help create a flaky texture.
- Add ice water gradually and only enough to bring the dough together. Overworking the dough or adding too much water can make it tough.
- For a gluten-free option, use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend in place of regular flour.
- Use leftover roasted or grilled chicken for a quick and easy filling.
- If the edges of the crust are browning too quickly, cover them with foil to prevent burning while the rest of the pie cooks.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Cooking Chicken Pot Pie at Home is a Breeze!
➡️ The classic chicken pot pie recipe may take quite a while, but if you have a leftover chicken roast in the fridge, the work is already done in half. Therefore, the preparation of this chicken pie is very easy and will not require too much time spent in the kitchen.
➡️ When you’re craving a home-cooked dinner, chicken pot pie is a tasty option. Pot pie is similar to a casserole, but instead of being baked in a single dish, it’s poured into a pie tin or deep dish so that it can be sliced and served. You can make pot pie not just with chicken but with almost any kind of meat or poultry, and the filling can be made in advance so that it can be refrigerated or frozen. If you need additional info, read more on pot pie!
➡️ Also, I recommend you to try more delicious chicken recipes available in my cookbooks Chicken Cookbook: 50 Delicious Air-Fryer Chicken Breast Recipes and Boneless Chicken Breast Recipes: Best Way to Cook Chicken Breast.
FAQ’s for Cooking Chicken Pie Recipes
What is chicken pot pie?
Chicken pot pie is a delicious and comforting dish that consists of chicken and vegetables baked in a pie crust.
What are the ingredients for chicken pot pie?
The ingredients for chicken pot pie include chicken, vegetables (such as carrots, peas, and potatoes), pie crust, chicken broth, milk, flour, butter, salt, and pepper.
How long does it take to make chicken pot pie?
It takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes to make chicken pot pie from start to finish.
Related Chicken Pie Recipes and Culinary Articles
🤪 No post found!
📖 Cooking article by