Learn in this cooking video how to make homemade potato salad from scratch using a tasty and easy potato salad recipe in Russian style!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY cooking potato salad!
making appetizers | cooking potatoes
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 500 g/17 oz of mayonnaise, bought or homemade
2) 500 g/17 oz of sour cream
3) 1 kg/35 oz of chopped mixed vegetables (carrot, celery root, parsnip root)
4) 1 kg/35 oz of potatoes
5) 300 g/10 oz of canned green peas
6) 500 g/17 oz of ham (Prague ham, pressed ham, rustic ham, or another similar ham type without fat)
7) 300 g/10 oz of pickles
8) salt and ground white pepper to taste
9) 1 tbsp of garlic powder or to taste (can be replaced with 2-3 garlic cloves, finely crushed or grated) – optional
1) boil vegetables until soft, then drain water and wait to cool to room temperature
2) boil potatoes with the skin on in salted water until soft, then drain water, wait to cool to room temperature, peel off and cube them into small pieces
3) prepare or place mayonnaise into a bowl, then add over sour cream
4) add boiled vegetables into the bowl
5) add cubed potatoes into the bowl
6) open green pea can, rinse peas, drain water well, and add them into the bowl
7) dice ham into small pieces, then add it into the bowl
8) drain pickles well, chop small, and add them into the bowl
9) mix ingredients by hand to combine them well
10) add salt, ground pepper, and garlic if used to the bowl, then mix this old fashioned potato salad again
11) place the salad appetizer into the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving (recommended)
As a result, there are lots of salad appetizer recipes of all kinds, but a large part of them include potatoes. This is probably because the potato is a staple food in these regions and is used to give consistency to the dishes.
Classic potato salad recipe with mayonnaise is one of the most popular recipes. It is served either as a cold appetizer for various events or as a side dish to roast meat on hot summer days.
The potato salad recipe I offer you on this page is classic, Russian-inspired. Locally, it’s called Olivier salad and some call it Russian salad with ham.
Regarding this basic potato salad, its preparation is very easy and requires only simple ingredients, easy to find, and known by everyone.
As you may have seen in a video, the recipe uses many other vegetables besides potatoes. They give a pleasant taste to the salad appetizer and make it much healthier due to the content of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
If you are wondering why pickles are used, the answer is that they are necessary to balance the sweet taste of vegetables. The amount used depends on the taste of each, so you can use more or less, as desired.
Regarding the ham, you can use any type of pressed or smoked ham as long as it does not contain fat. This has an unpleasant taste and consistency in combination with mayonnaise, so avoid using it. In addition, I recommend you cut the ham into small cubes in order to have a pleasant texture in this cold appetizer that can be prepared in advance when organizing festive meals or parties. Because it’s delicious, this homemade potato salad recipe is one of my favorites make-ahead appetizers and party food recipes.
Besides serving this dish as an appetizer, it can be used to prepare more complex cold appetizers. For example, it can be used to stuff red bell peppers, which can be then arranged on a platter and served as finger food at parties.
Enjoy homemade potato salad with ham and mayonnaise!
Read more about potato salad recipe origins here!
making appetizers | cooking potatoes