Learn in this video how to make homemade walnut roll from scratch by using a yummy traditional walnut cake recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade walnut roll cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) place milk in a saucepan, add 5 tablespoons of sugar, put the pan to the stovetop over medium-low temperature, and mix until the sugar dissolves completely
2) add walnut and a tablespoon of semolina, then combine ingredients until you get a smooth walnut filling
3) wait until the walnut filling cools to room temperature
4) in the meantime, prepare dough from 600 g/21 oz of all-purpose flour (view the sweet dough recipe)
5) divide the dough into two equal parts, then stretch both pieces into layers of about 1 cm/0.4 inch thickness and of the length of the tray you’re using to bake the walnut cake
6) stretch about half of the walnut filling over each dough sheets
7) roll each dough sheet as tight as possible, then seal their ends just like in the video
8) place each walnut roll in separate baking-paper coated rectangular loaf pans (see the video)
9) cover the pans, place them in a warmish place (like the stovetop, after you heated the oven), and wait about 20 minutes to leaven the dough
10) break the egg, beat it up, then brush the walnut cake on top
11) place the loaf pans in the preheated oven at about 180 C/360 F and bake ingredients until walnut rolls are golden brown on top (about 30-40 minutes)
12) take pans out from the oven and wait until the homemade walnut cake cools to room temperature
13) slice rolls up into pieces of about 1 finger thickness or as desired
14) sprinkle over cake slices some caster sugar to taste for garnishing (optional)
Some nut cake recipes are usually made for holidays such as Christmas and Easter. Still, many people bake nut roll and other walnut cakes without any special occasion.
From the many old fashioned walnut cake recipes that I use, one of the most appreciated is the walnut roll recipe.
Actually, the homemade walnut roll is a favorite in several Eastern European and Balkan countries such as Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Poland, and Croatia, to name but a few of them.
Generally speaking, walnut roll recipes feature leavened dough. Still, there are available nut roll recipes with unleavened dough like the Hungarian beigli.
The homemade cake recipe presented on this page is pretty easy to make, especially for those with some baking experience.
However, the recipe is explained step by step, so even somebody with less experience is able to prepare it without too much effort.
Walnut roll can be served as a delicious dessert, with or without coffee or tea.
Some people, including me, like to eat walnut cake along with milk at breakfast. I make this especially during the winter holiday season when I like to pamper myself every day!
If you did not have the chance to eat so far a traditional walnut cake, I recommend preparing this one. For sure, you’ll like it and, after that, you’ll make it for your family and friends with any occasion!
Enjoy the homemade walnut roll!
You can read more about the walnut roll origins here.