Learn in this video how to make beef stew from scratch by using the authentic Hungarian beef goulash recipe with dumplings from scratch!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY authentic Hungarian goulash with dumplings! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 2 kg/70 oz of beef or veal, cut into larger cubes
2) 800 g/28 oz of onion
3) 1-2 tbsp of sunflower oil and some water for simmering
4) 2-3 tbsp of paprika
5) 1/2 tsp of dried marjoram
6) 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
7) 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
8) 2-3 dried bay leaves
9) 400 g/14 oz of peeled tomatoes
10) 800 ml/27 fl oz of tomato broth
11) salt and ground black pepper to taste
12) for dumplings – 300 g/11 oz of flour, some water, and little oil
13) 2-3 tbsp of sunflower oil or pork lard to fry dumplings
14) fresh dill and/or sour cream (optional)
1) cut the beef into larger cubes
2) chop onions
3) put both meat and onions into a pot
4) pour 1-2 spoons of oil and some water to cover ingredients
5) simmer ingredients over very high temperature for about 10-15 minutes or until they are partly softened
6) add paprika when the water almost has dropped completely and fry ingredients for about 20-30 seconds by stirring continuously
7) add marjoram, nutmeg, cumin, and bay leaves
8) reduce temperature to low and add peeled tomatoes, tomato broth, and some water to fill up the pot about two thirds
9) season the stew with some salt and pepper to taste
10) the beef goulash is ready when the meat is very tender and the sauce dropped significantly
11) right before the beef goulash is ready, prepare the flour dumplings (see below)
12) mix flour with some water to get a viscous paste, season with salt to taste
13) bring a high pot with water to boil, add just a bit oil and some salt salt
14) when the water is bubbling slightly, take small pieces of dumpling dough with a teaspoon and drop them into the hot water, continue until you finish the entire dough
15) reduce temperature to medium-low and boil dumplings until they are soft and rise to the water surface (about 4-5 minutes)
16) take out dumplings from water, and drain them
17) put some oil or pork lard into a skillet over a very high temperature, wait to get hot, then add dumplings and fry them for about 2-3 minutes
18) finally, put some dumplings into a plate and 1-2 ladles of beef goulash over them
19) top the dish with some chopped fresh dill and/or sour cream
Goulash is probably the most famous food recipe in Hungary. Its popularity has crossed the borders of the country and today this beef dish has become known almost all over the world.
Besides Hungary, other Eastern European countries such as Slovakia consider goulash as their national food.
Initially, Hungarian goulash was cooked with potatoes, not with dumplings. However, in Hungary are available more beef goulash recipes, depending on the region. Some varieties include sauerkraut, kidney beans, smoked beef, and so on.
Hungarian goulash is actually a thick beef stew cooked in the local style, which involves the use of paprika and a lot of onions.
Hungarian goulash is very tasty and so, by cooking this food, you have the chance to enjoy a really tender beef along with a thick onion sauce made with smoked, spicy, or sweet paprika.
My opinion is that the Hungarian beef goulash is the best when it’s served with flour dumplings. However, this doesn’t mean that I don’t like the version with boiled potatoes!
The taste of authentic Hungarian goulash with dumplings is even more refined if you top the dish with fresh dill and sour cream. Pickles are highly recommended along with this thick beef stew.
Enjoy Hungarian beef goulash with dumplings!
Read more about Hungarian goulash origins here!