Authentic Hungarian chicken paprikash recipes – how to make Hungarian chicken paprikash with dumplings. Hungarian paprikash recipe to cook food with flour dumplings, chicken, and more simple and tasty ingredients.
Learn in this video how to make Hungarian chicken paprikash with dumplings from scratch by using a yummy and easy chicken stew recipe from Hungary!
SUPER YUMMY food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
ENJOY chicken paprikash recipe! 👌
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 200 g / 7 oz of yellow onion
2) 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
3) 3 tbsp of paprika (sweet, spicy, smoked or a combination of them)
4) 6 whole chicken leg quarters (about 1.5 kg / 50 oz) or separated into thigh and drumstick, on your choice
5) salt and black peppercorn to taste
6) 1-2 dried bay leaves
7) 600 g / 21 oz of all-purpose flour
8) 5 eggs
9) a bundle of greenery (parsley, coriander, dill)
1) peel onions off, then wedge them finely
2) put oil into a high pot and wait to warm up
3) place onion wedges into the pot and fry it over a medium temperature
4) season onion with salt to taste and wait until it’s slightly brown
5) add paprika to the pot and fry ingredients for 30 seconds while stirring continuously
6) pour about 200 ml / 7 fl oz of water into the pot to stop frying and reduce temperature
7) place chicken into the pot
8) season food with salt, black peppercorn, and bay leaves to taste
9) pour water just to cover chicken leg quarters a bit (DO NOT POUR EXCESSIVE WATER!)
10) boil chicken legs over low temperature until soft (about 25-30 minutes)
11) meanwhile, place water into a high pot, add some salt, and wait to boil
12) place flour into a bowl, break eggs inside, add about 200 ml / 7 fl oz of cold water (less or more, depending on the flour), and mix thoroughly ingredients by hand until smooth and elastic
13) break small dough pieces with a teaspoon and place it into the boiling water
14) wait until flour dumplings rise to the surface, this is the sign they are soft and ready for serving
15) place dumplings into a sieve to drain water
16) when serving the food, place some flour dumplings into a deep plate, add over them 1-2 ladles of broth and a chicken leg quarter, and, finally, sprinkle some chopped greenery (optional)
Hungarian chicken paprikash is very tasty so it’s now known worldwide. The traditional way to serve this food is with flour dumplings, but there is available a version with boiled potatoes.
The recipe presented on this page is the most basic and traditional version. You could find other chicken paprikash recipes that feature sweet peppers, tomato puree or sour cream. Those variations are also authentic Hungarian paprikash recipes because not all people cook this food in the same way.
As you have seen in the video, cooking this chicken paprikash recipe is very easy, so you don’t need any serious experience in the kitchen to prepare it. Ingredients are quite simple, maybe except paprika in some places. Plus, paprikash is ready in a very short time, so you have now the chance to cook a delicious meal without too much effort and time.
Usually, I serve paprikash without sour cream. Some people like to eat this Hungarian food with sour cream, so it’s up to you if you are going to use or not this ingredient.
Besides Hungarian chicken paprikash recipe with dumplings, there are available two very similar recipes, one Bulgarian and one Jewish.
Enjoy Hungarian chicken paprikash with dumplings!
Read more about chicken paprikash recipes here.