📖 Table of Contents
Homemade Hungarian Dobos Cake Recipes
My homemade Dobos recipe is one of the most delicious Hungarian cake recipes you ever made!
➡️ Searching for the best Hungarian chocolate cake recipes in 2023? On this page, you’ll discover how to make Hungarian Dobos torte in 21 steps at home. Today, thousands of chocolate cake recipes are available on the Internet, but you won’t find any that resembles Dobos, the Hungarian dessert that conquered the whole planet with its unique appearance and taste!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Hungarian Dobos from Scratch
Healthy Desserts Cookbook
If you’re ready to experience the taste of delicious and healthy dessert recipes, look no further than the “Healthy Desserts: A Low-Calorie Desserts Cookbook” cookbook.
Homemade Hungarian Dobos Torte
- 12 eggs separated into yolks and whites
- 11 granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 11 oz all-purpose flour + some extra flour for the tray
- 18 oz butter at room temperature, cubed
- 11 oz granulated sugar for the cream
- 8 egg yolks for the cream
- 3 oz cocoa powder
- 3.5 oz granulated sugar for the caramel layer
- 2 tbsp water
- place yolks into a bowl, then put sugar over them and combine ingredients by mixer until sugar is dissolved completely
- add vanilla extract to the bowl and mix again
- add flour gradually while combining ingredients by hand
- place egg whites into another bowl, then whisk them by the mixer with a pinch of salt until hard
- add egg white to the first bowl while mixing by hand with slow rotations from bottom to top until you get a smooth dough
- flour the bottom of a tray on the outside and stretch a thin layer of dough (you have to repeat this operation more times)
- put the tray in the preheated oven and bake the sheet at 290 C/550 F until golden brown, then do the same with the rest of the dough
- put all cake sheets on paper and wait until cool completely
- in the meantime, add gradually sugar to the butter and rub the ingredients to combine them thoroughly
- when the previous step is completed, add 8 egg yolks to the bowl one by one – DO NOT add the next yolk until you had not thoroughly mixed the ingredients up by hand because you’ll get curdled cream!
- next, add gradually cocoa powder and mix the ingredients by hand
- spread a thin layer of chocolate cream over a cake sheet
- do the same with the rest of the cream and sheets, but keep one sheet and some chocolate cream
- cut the ends of the cake to be straight
- cut the cake lengthwise into two equal parts, then spread some cream over one of the halves
- put over the second half and spread on top some cream as well
- spread a cream layer on the cake sides
- put the last cake sheet on a paper sheet brushed with oil and draw on it shapes as shown in the video
- put sugar for the caramel sheet in a saucepan, pour over the water and wait until it caramelizes without mixing the ingredients
- spread the liquid caramel over the drawn cake sheet, then cut immediately the sheet according to the shapes you have previously drawn – you have to work VERY FAST because the caramel hardens in a short time!
- garnish the cake top with the caramel pieces
- Be sure to follow the recipe closely and measure your ingredients accurately. The sponge cake layers must be light and airy, so it’s important to incorporate the ingredients properly.
- Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature before you begin baking. This will help them mix together more easily and create a smoother batter.
- Chill the buttercream in the fridge before assembling the torte. This will make the buttercream easier to spread and help the layers stick together.
- Chill the cake: Once the cake is assembled, place it in the fridge for at least an hour to let it set. This will make it easier to cut into even slices and will also help the flavors meld together.
- To make the caramel topping, melt sugar in a saucepan until it turns golden brown. Carefully pour it onto a non-stick surface and let it cool down until it hardens. Once it’s hardened, break it into small pieces using a rolling pin or similar tool. These pieces will be used to decorate the cake.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Final Notes for the Authentic Hungarian Dobos Torte Recipe
➡️ Hungarian Dobos cake is one of the most popular chocolate cake recipes not just in Hungary but also worldwide. It is one of the most popular Hungarian cake recipes because it has a unique flavor due to the special chocolate cream and caramel pieces.
➡️ Enjoy making the Hungarian Dobos torte recipe from scratch! If you need additional info, read more about Hungarian Dobos torte origins here.
FAQs for the Hungarian Dobos Torte
What is Hungarian Dobos torte?
Dobos torte is a Hungarian cake that consists of multiple layers of sponge cake filled with chocolate buttercream and topped with caramel.
Who invented Hungarian Dobos torte?
A Hungarian baker named József C. Dobos invented the cake in 1885.
How long does it take to make Hungarian Dobos torte?
It takes about 1 1/2-2 hours to make Hungarian Dobos torte.
What are the ingredients of Hungarian Dobos torte?
The ingredients of a traditional Hungarian Dobos torte include flour, sugar, eggs, butter, milk, cocoa powder, chocolate, and caramel.
How do you store Hungarian Dobos torte?
You can store Hungarian Dobos torte in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Related Chocolate Cake Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by