📖 Table of Contents
Authentic Hungarian Appetizer Recipes: Cold Hungarian Meatball Appetizers with Ground Pork
My homemade meatballs recipe is possibly the most delicious cold Hungarian meatball appetizers recipe you’ve ever made at home. View the recipe and video below!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
Cold Hungarian Meatball Appetizers
- 35/1 (oz/kg) ground pork
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp fine-grained breadcrumbs
- some salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2-3 garlic cloves or to taste
- 10/300 (fl oz/ml) sunflower oil for frying
- break the egg over the ground meat placed in a bowl,then add the breadcrumbs.
- add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- add paprika and crushed garlic.
- mix the ingredients well.
- make small-sized meatballs.
- pour the oil into the pan, wait to heat up, then place and and fry the meatballs over a medium-high temperature until golden on the bottom side (about 3-5 minutes.)
- flip and fry the meatballs evenly (2-3 minutes.)
- remove the meatballs from the pan and drain them well, then wait to cool before serving them as appetizers; alternatively, you can serve them warm as a main dish with your preferred sides.
- when serving them as a cold appetizer, top the meatballs with fresh parsley leaves, hot chili pepper rings, or bell pepper strips, and/or mix them with olives or small cheese cubes for a more attractive platter.
Cooking Tips for the Best Results:
- Choose Quality Ground Pork: Start with high-quality ground pork, preferably with a good balance of lean and fat. This will ensure that your meatballs are flavorful and moist.
- Master the Paprika: Hungarian paprika is a key ingredient, so use it generously. It provides that distinctive smoky and slightly sweet flavor. Make sure your paprika is fresh for the best taste.
- Properly Season the Mixture: Ensure even distribution of salt, pepper, and minced garlic throughout the meatball mixture. This can be achieved by mixing the seasoning ingredients with the meat thoroughly.
- Test One Meatball First: Before frying the whole batch, it’s a good idea to cook a single meatball to taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. This way, you can fine-tune the flavors to your preference.
- Maintain the Right Cooking Temperature: Pan-fry the meatballs over medium heat. This will allow them to cook through evenly without burning the outside. Ensure the meatballs are browned on all sides and cooked through before serving.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
FAQs about the Hungarian Pork Meatball Appetizer Recipe
Can I use any type of ground pork for this recipe?
While you can use various types of ground pork, it’s best to use a blend that includes both lean and fatty meat for a balanced texture and flavor.
Is there a specific type of paprika I should use for this dish?
Hungarian sweet paprika is the most authentic choice. It offers a smoky and slightly sweet flavor that’s characteristic of Hungarian cuisine.
Can I make these meatballs ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the meatball mixture in advance and refrigerate it. Shape and pan-fry the meatballs just before serving to keep them fresh and crispy.
What can I serve with these pork meatballs?
These meatballs are versatile and can be served as an appetizer with a dipping sauce or as part of a main course with sides like rice, mashed potatoes, or a fresh green salad.
Can I bake these meatballs instead of pan-frying them?
While traditionally they are pan-fried, you can bake them in the oven at around 375°F (190°C) for a slightly lighter version. Just make sure to check for doneness, as the cooking time may vary.
➡️ Are you looking for a recipe for tasty cold appetizers, easy to make, practical to serve, and which will not empty your wallet? The answer is at your fingertips: Hungarian meatball appetizers! Enjoy cooking Hungarian meatball appetizers from scratch! For additional info, read more on here.
📖 Cooking article by