Homemade flour dumpling recipes – how to make Hungarian self-rising flour dumplings for soup and paprikash or stew. Easy self-rising dumplings recipe to prepare authentic Hungarian homemade flour dumplings for soup, stew, paprikash, and other food recipes.
Learn in this video how to make flour dumplings from scratch by using authentic Hungarian self-rising flour dumplings recipe from grandma!
SUPER EASY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 1 egg
2) 3-4 tbsp of all-purpose flour
3) about 100 ml / 3.5 fl oz of cold water, less or more
1) break an egg and place it into a bowl
2) add flour over egg and pour a small quantity of cold water
3) combine ingredients well by stirring them energetically by hand, add small quantities of water if necessary (the amount of water depends on the flour, so there is no a fixed quantity)
4) dough batter is ready when it’s smooth, without flour lumps, and has a creamy, slightly-viscous, and elastic consistency
5) bring soup broth or salted water to boil into a high pot (USE A LARGE AMOUNT OF LIQUID!), then break small amounts of dough with a teaspoon and place them into the pot
6) reduce temperature to medium and wait to self rise all dumplings (DO NOT MIX THEM!)
7) the self-rising dumplings are ready when float at the soup surface and are soft
Flour dumplings are special ingredients used to cook various soup recipes. There are many recipes for dumplings all over the world. I present you on this page and in the embedded video the Hungarian self-rising flour dumplings recipe.
Hungarian dumplings for soup are known locally as galuska or nokedli. They are renowned worldwide because of their small size and because they are included in two very popular Hungarian food recipes, namely paprikash and goulash.
Making self-rising dumplings is very easy, so there aren’t sophisticated cooking tips to share about it.
My first advice is to combine extremely well ingredients until the batter is very smooth and doesn’t contain flour lumps. Its consistency is also important, so make sure it is slightly viscous and elastic. Basically, it has to be like a custard.
If you added to much water, don’t panic! Sprinkle some flour and mix again, the batter will become exactly as it is supposed it must to be!
Further, use a large amount of liquid to boil dumplings. If the pot is too small or the water or broth quantity is too small, dumplings will stick to the pot bottom and won’t boil. Rather, they will remain gummy and raw inside.
Finally, don’t mix dumplings in the pot while boiling. You will break them into very small pieces and your dumplings will be destroyed!
Primarily, self-rising flour dumplings are used for soup. However, these dumplings are also used along with paprikash and goulash. The recipe is identical, but the procedure is a bit different.
Remember, when you make dumplings for paprikash or goulash, you have to make them a bit larger, of about a half spoon size.
Plus, when the dumplings are soft, you have to drain them well off and then fry them 1-2 minutes in pork lard or sunflower oil. This step is necessary to eliminate any water excess and give to dumplings a slightly fried texture. Additionally, their taste will become more refined!
Finally, take dumplings out from the skillet and place them next to goulash or paprikash.
Enjoy Hungarian self-rising flour dumplings!
Read more about different dumpling types here.