Easy layered cabbage bake to cook a casserole with pork mince and rice as to enjoy a traditional Kaalilaatikko recipe just like in Finland.
Learn in this video how to make ground pork and cabbage casserole from scratch by using a yummy and easy layered cabbage casserole recipe from Finland called kaalilaatikko!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY Finnish food! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) shred or wedge cabbage with the knife
2) place cabbage into a high pot, add two spoons of oil and a pinch of salt, then place the pot on the stovetop over a very high temperature
3) simmer cabbage until it’s soft and slightly browned
4) place pork mince into a skillet, add 2 spoons of oil and some salt to taste, and fry the mincemeat over a very high temperature
5) meanwhile, peel onions off and chop them
6) when the meat is bleached add chopped onions to the skillet, mix and fry ingredients until are golden brown
7) in the meantime, boil rice in salted water until fluffy and soft, then wait to cool about 15 minutes
8) place on a tray about half of the cabbage into a layer
9) place about half of the fried mince over cabbage into a layer
10) sprinkle over meat some ground black pepper and dried marjoram to taste
11) place about half of the boiled rice into a layer over meat
12) place a new layer of fried ground pork, add again some ground black pepper to taste (optional)
13) make a new layer with the rest of the rice
14) place the rest of the cabbage into a layer and press gently ingredients by your palm or large spoon to compact them
15) put the tray in the oven at 180 C/360 F and bake the casserole until it’s golden on top (30-40 minutes)
16) turn the heat off and let casserole inside for 15-30 minutes before serving it
Layered cabbage casserole is preferred by many people when it comes to the best way to cook this vegetable. There are lots of food recipes to make cabbage bake, from which a significant part of them include ground pork as well.
I love this recipe, so I cook it pretty often. Traditional, this dish is cooked with sweet white cabbage, but during winter, I replace it with sauerkraut. The sour cabbage version is also one of my preferred foods!
However, the story of this dish is pretty interesting. The original recipe of the layered cabbage casserole with ground pork and rice comes from Finland. In a mysterious way, it was adopted by people in Transylvania, which is today part of Romania.
There are several differences between recipes. While in Finland the dish includes syrup or molasses and is topped with cowberry jam, in Transylvania the food is cooked without sweetness and is topped abundantly with sour cream.
The recipe that I present on this page and in the embedded video is the Transylvanian version.
Enjoy layered cabbage casserole with ground pork!
Read more about the Finnish cabbage casserole here.