📖 Table of Contents
Homemade Custard Cream Recipes: French Custard Filling
My French custard filling is one of the most delicious pastry cream recipes you’ve ever made!
➡️ Searching for traditional French custard recipes to use in 2023? On this webpage, you can learn how to make French pastry cream from scratch in 12 steps to fill-ups various homemade cakes. In case you didn’t know already, French pastry cream, known also as French custard, is one of the best vanilla creams that is used even nowadays for the preparation of cakes.
➡️ There are a lot of classic French cake recipes that are based on the type of cream filling that I share on this page. You can use this easy vanilla custard cream recipe to prepare a cream in the French style and fill up eclairs, profiteroles, choux-a-la-creme, and other cake types.
➡️ You may think that the recipe is complicated given the French origin of the recipe. No way, it’s simple and quick and will help you make some of the best homemade cakes you’ve ever tasted! Watch the video below and learn how to make vanilla custard using the authentic French pastry cream recipe from scratch!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make French Custard Filling for Cakes from Scratch
What ingredients do you need to make vanilla custard?
1) 2 eggs
2) 100 g/3.5 oz of granulated sugar
3) 150 g/5.5 oz of all-purpose flour
4) 2 x 250 ml/8.5 fl oz of cold cow milk
5) 1 tsp of vanilla essence
6) 100 g/3.5 oz of butter or cake margarine
7) 100 g/3.5 oz of caster sugar
How to make French vanilla custard from scratch?
1) break eggs and place them into a bowl
2) add sugar over eggs, then combine ingredients by mixer until sugar is dissolved completely
3) add flour to the bowl and mix ingredients by hand until smooth
4) pour 250 ml/8.5 fl oz of milk into the bowl and mix the ingredients
5) pour the rest of the milk into a saucepan and place it on the stovetop over medium temperature
6) when milk from the saucepan has warmed well, pour inside the mixture prepared previously while mixing continuously
7) cream is ready when is smooth and has a slightly viscous and elastic consistency
8) take the pan off the stove, add vanilla, and mix ingredients to combine very well
9) cover vanilla pastry cream with foil and wait to cool to room temperature
10) place butter into a bowl, then add gradually caster sugar while combining ingredients by hand continuously
11) add gradually the entire amount of mixture from the saucepan to sweetened butter while mixing by hand
12) use vanilla custard as filling for various homemade cake recipes
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Final Notes for the French Pastry Cream Recipe
➡️ Vanilla cake recipes are without a doubt one of the most popular homemade cake recipes. That’s because vanilla is the most popular cake flavor and everyone loves it. Needless to say, I love vanilla cakes of any kind! That’s why I often bake all kinds of homemade vanilla cakes, with or without cream. Vanilla cream-filled cakes are definitely among the favorite recipes in my family, so I have to make such cakes frequently. Among the vanilla cream cakes, I make most often are cremeschnitte, choux-a-la-crème, eclairs, and so on.
➡️ As you probably already know, there are different ways to make a vanilla cream filling. Some recipes are based on French custard recipes, while others are simpler and can even be made with vanilla pudding. The vanilla custard for cakes shared on this page is based on a traditional French pastry cream recipe. It’s a basic cream for cream-filled cakes that I use most often when making eclairs, choux-a-la-crème, and profiteroles.
➡️ Depending on the cake you are going to make, it’s advisable to use the filling with or without gelatin. The vanilla cream recipe available on this page does not contain gelatin, so it’s pretty moist and flows quite easily from the cake. If you’re looking for a thicker and firmer cream to fill your cakes up, follow the link in the section below. I use that recipe for heavier homemade cake recipes, like the classic cremeschnitte or vanilla slice.
➡️ Regardless of the pastry cream recipe you choose, each one is very tasty and will help you make a fantastic cake at home, which will please your family and friends! Enjoy both French custard and French pastry cream, as well as the homemade cake recipes you make with them!
➡️ Enjoy making French pastry cream from scratch! For additional info, read more about vanilla custard recipes here.
Related Cake Filling Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by