📖 Table of Contents
Old-Fashioned Plum Cake Recipes: Homemade Fresh Plum Cake with Meringue Topping
My fresh plum cake recipe with meringue topping is possibly the most delicious homemade plum cake recipe you’ve ever baked at home!
➡️ Are you looking for the best homemade plum cake recipes in 2023? On this website, you’ll find out how to make a plum cake with meringue in 19 steps at home. Plums are among my favorite fruits and as such, I use them widely both for fresh consumption and for making jam and baking homemade cakes.
➡️ Those who follow my recipes know that I am an admirer of traditional recipes and this fresh plum cake recipe is my creation based on an old-fashioned cake recipe. My easy plum cake recipe helps you bake a simple homemade sponge cake with plum, meringue, and more simple and delicious ingredients.
➡️ The preparation and baking of this homemade cake takes an average time and is very easy even for beginners. Watch the baking video below and learn how to make a plum cake with meringue using an easy homemade cake recipe with fresh fruit!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Old-Fashioned Plum Cake from Scratch
What ingredients do you need to make a homemade plum cake?
1) 500 g/17 oz of seedless plum halves, fresh or frozen
2) 5 eggs
3) 450 g/16 oz of granulated sugar
4) 200 ml/7 fl oz of sunflower oil
5) 1 tsp of vanilla extract
6) 200 ml/7 fl oz of cold cow milk
7) 10 g/0.35 oz of baking powder
8) 600 g/21 oz of all-purpose flour
9) a pinch of salt
10) cinnamon powder to taste
What ingredients do you need to make meringue?
1) 5 egg whites
2) 300 g/11 oz of granulated sugar
How to make a homemade plum cake with meringue from scratch?
1) cut plums into halves lengthwise and remove the seeds
2) separate egg yolks and place them into a bowl
3) add sugar gradually to the bowl while stirring by mixer
4) add oil gradually to the bowl while stirring by mixer
5) add vanilla extract, then add milk gradually and stir with a mixer
6) add baking powder, then sift the flour and add it into the bowl
7) whisk 5 egg whites with a pinch of salt until hard
8) add gradually egg white to the previously prepared mixture and combine gently by hand to incorporate air into the composition
9) coat a tray with baking paper, then pour the cake dough inside into a uniform layer
10) place plum halves over the dough into rows with the skin downside
11) sprinkle over plums some cinnamon powder to taste
12) place the tray into the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and bake until the cake is golden brown on top
13) take the tray out from the oven and wait until the plum cake cools to room temperature
14) in the meantime, put some water into a pot and place it on the stovetop over low temperature and wait until the water starts bubbling
15) place 5 egg whites into a high-temperature proof bowl and place it over the pot with hot water
16) add sugar into the bowl and stir it by the mixer at low speed over steam until you get a hard meringue
17) stretch meringue over the homemade plum cake into a layer
18) wait until the meringue is hard before slicing the cake up (at least 6 hours)
19) cut cake edges to be straight, then slice the cake up into pieces of the desired size (I recommend following the plum rows to get good-looking pieces)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
PRO Tips for the Old-Fashioned Plum Cake Recipe with Meringue
➡️ Plum cake is one of the most popular homemade cake recipes in many parts of the world including the US. This happens because plums are very tasty and beloved by most people.
➡️ Thanks to the internet, there are lots of homemade plum cake recipes available nowadays. Some of the most popular include the classic French plum pie, poppyseed plum cake, and other fresh fruit cake recipes with a modern twist such as meringue topping.
➡️ Homemade cake recipes topped with meringue gained very much in popularity in recent years despite their old-fashioned character. For this reason, I created this fresh plum cake recipe, which is based on a classic homemade cake and an Italian meringue recipe.
➡️ Making this plum cake with meringue is really simple. The most important secret to getting a fluffy cake texture is to combine by hand the egg whites and dough base. For this recipe, you can use either fresh or frozen plums. Frozen fruit cake is equally good as fresh fruit cake. As a result, you can prepare this homemade plum cake with meringue all year long.
➡️ Many people tend to hurry when baking cakes and want to make everything with a mixer. I also use the mixer as many times as I can, still, I recommend using some classic tricks to make delicious homemade cakes, and one of them is to combine by hand the dough in the final stage to get a very fluffy sponge cake base.
➡️ Another thing you have to keep in mind is to work carefully when making meringue. Water and electricity are dangerous together, so avoid getting water or steam into the electrical part of the mixer!
➡️ This cake with meringue can be served plain, without any other topping.
➡️ Enjoy making old-fashioned plum cake from scratch! For additional info, read more on plum!
Related Plum Cake Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by