Homemade plum cake recipes – how to make a plum cake with meringue. Easy fruit cake recipe to bake a simple homemade cake with plum, meringue, and more simple and delicious ingredients.
Learn in this video how to make a plum cake with meringue by using an easy homemade cake recipe with fresh fruit!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 500 g / 17 oz of seedless plum halves, fresh or frozen
2) 5 eggs
3) 450 g / 16 oz of granulated sugar
4) 200 ml / 7 fl oz of sunflower oil
5) 1 tsp of vanilla extract
6) 200 ml/ 7 fl oz of cold cow milk
7) 10 g / 0.35 oz of baking powder
8) 600 g / 21 oz of all-purpose flour
9) a pinch of salt
10) cinnamon powder to taste
1) 5 egg whites
2) 300 g / 11 oz of granulated sugar
1) cut plums into halves lengthwise and remove the seeds
2) separate egg yolks and place them into a bowl
3) add sugar gradually to the bowl while stirring by mixer
4) add oil gradually to the bowl while stirring by mixer
5) add vanilla extract, then add milk gradually and stir by mixer
6) add baking powder, then sift the flour and add it into the bowl
7) whisk 5 egg whites with a pinch of salt until hard
8) add gradually egg white to the previously prepared mixture and combine gently by hand to incorporate air into the composition
9) coat a tray with baking paper, then pour the cake dough inside into a uniform layer
10) place plum halves over the dough into rows with the skin downside
11) sprinkle over plums some cinnamon powder to taste
12) place the tray into the preheated oven at 180 C/ 360 F and bake until the cake is golden brown on top
13) take the tray out from the oven and wait until the plum cake cools to room temperature
14) in the meantime, put some water into a pot and place it to the stovetop over low temperature and wait until the water starts bubbling
15) place 5 egg whites into a high-temperature proof bowl and place it over the pot with hot water
16) add sugar into the bowl and stir it by the mixer at low speed over steam until you get a hard meringue
17) stretch meringue over the homemade plum cake into a layer
18) wait until meringue is hard before slicing the cake up (at least 6 hours)
19) cut cake edges to be straight, then slice the cake up into pieces of the desired size (I recommend to follow the plum rows to get good-looking pieces)
Plum cake is one of the most popular homemade cake recipes in many parts of the world including the US. This happens because plums are very tasty and beloved by most people.
Thanks to the internet, there are lots of plum cake recipes available nowadays. Some of the most popular of them include the classic French plum pie, poppyseed plum cake, and other fresh fruit cake recipes with a modern twist such as meringue topping.
Homemade cake recipes topped with meringue gained very much in popularity in recent years.
For this reason, I created this fresh plum cake recipe, which is based on a classic homemade cake and an Italian meringue recipe.
Making this plum cake with meringue is really simple. The most important secret to getting a fluffy cake texture is to combine by hand the egg whites and dough base.
Many people tend to hurry when baking cakes and want to make everything by the mixer. I also use the mixer as many times I can, still, I recommend using some classic tricks to make delicious homemade cakes and one of them is to combine by hand the dough in the final stage.
Another thing you have to keep in mind is to work carefully when making meringue. Water and electricity are dangerous together, so avoid to not get water or steam into the electrical part of the mixer!
This plum cake with meringue can be served plain, without any other topping. Enjoy it!
Read more about the plum cake origins here.