Learn in this video how to make sweet poppyseed filling by using a homemade poppy seed paste recipe from scratch!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) put sugar and milk into a saucepan
2) put the saucepan over the fire and wait until the milk starts boiling, mix to dissolve the sugar
3) grind poppy seeds,
4) place the poppyseed into the hot milk and combine well the ingredients by hand
5) add rum essence, raisins, and candied orange peel (optional), then mix again to combine the ingredients
6) add semolina and mix again
7) wait until the poppy seed filling cools completely to room temperature
8) break the eggs and place it over the filling, then combine well until you get a smooth paste
9) use the poppy seed paste to fill up traditional homemade cakes of your choice
People love poppy seed cakes, so there are lots of cake recipes with poppy seed filling. Homemade cakes including poppy seeds in the recipe are especially popular in countries from Central and Eastern Europe, but also in the Balkans, Austria, and Germany.
A large part of cakes featuring poppy seeds is sweetbreads prepared mostly with leavened dough. Some people sprinkle poppy seeds over the cakes, but some more complex recipes require a poppy seed paste as a cake filling.
One of the most popular such recipes is the paste prepared with boiled milk. It has a sweet taste and is used for a long time across Europe.
Of course, this cake filling recipe was used by my grandma as well. I remember even today my childhood days when she used to prepare two of my favorite homemade cakes: poppyseed sweetbread and Hungarian poppy seed roll called beigli.
As you probably have seen in the video, the poppyseed filling recipe is very easy to make, does not require many ingredients, it is very quick, and helps you make filling for different homemade cake recipes when you have not found or forgot to buy ready-made filling.
By the way, if you don’t know, today are available some canned poppy seed paste versions. As I mentioned, when you don’t have enough time, using them is fine, however, the homemade poppy seed paste is more refined, so I prefer it by far.
This poppy seed filling is used to prepare fluffy sweet bread with poppy seed stuffing and many other leavened homemade cakes that are traditionally filled with poppy seed.
Many Austrian, German, Russian, and Hungarian cake recipes use this poppy seed filling or a very similar one.
Enjoy cakes with poppyseed filling!
You can read more about different poppyseed cake types here.