Authentic poppy seed roll recipes – how to make poppy seed roll cake. Transylvanian poppy seed roll recipe to bake poppy seed cake with simple and tasty ingredients.
Learn in this video how to make poppy seed roll cake from scratch in the authentic Transylvanian style by using a yummy and easy poppy seed cake recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 100 ml/3.5 fl oz + 200 ml/7 fl oz of cow milk
2) 1 tsp of vanilla essence
3) grated zest from a lemon
4) a pinch of salt
5) 1 tsp + 200 g / 7 oz of granulated sugar
6) 20 g / 0.7 oz of dried yeast
7) 3-4 tbsp of all-purpose flour
8) 500 g / 17.5 oz of cake flour
9) 200 g / 7 oz of butter or margarine for the economical version
10) 2 + 2 egg yolks
11) 1 egg
12) 2 tbsp of heavy cream with a minimum of 12% fat
13) 200 g/ 7 oz of ground poppy seeds
14) 1 tsp of rum essence
15) 50 g / 1.75 oz of raisins (optional)
16) 100 g / 3.5 oz of candied orange peel (optional), cut into very small cubes
17) 4 tbsp of semolina
1) put in a mug 100 ml / 3.5 fl oz of lukewarm cow milk, a teaspoonful of vanilla essence, and grated zest from a lemon
2) add a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of sugar and dried yeast, then mix ingredients well
3) add a tablespoon of flour, mix ingredients again, then cover the mug and wait about 5 minutes for the yeast to activate
4) cut butter at room temperature into small cubes, then place it over 500 g /17.5 oz of cake flour and mix ingredients by rubbing them between fingers until butter is incorporated completely
5) pour mug contents into the bowl, add 2 egg yolks and the cream, then knead ingredients manually until you get a smooth and elastic dough
6) cover the bowl with a kitchen towel, place it in a warm place and wait for 30 minutes to leaven the dough
7) meanwhile, put 200 ml/7 fl oz of cow milk and 200 g/7 oz of sugar into a saucepan, then place it over medium temperature and wait for the milk to boil
8) add poppy seeds to the pan, then mix to combine ingredients well
9) add a teaspoon of rum essence, raisins, and candied orange peel, then mix ingredients again
10) add 4 tablespoons of semolina, mix and wait for the poppy seed filling to cool to room temperature
11) after it has cooled, add 2 egg yolks and mix well
12) sprinkle 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour on the worktop, then place the dough and divide it into two equal parts
13) spread into sheets both dough piece
14) place on each sheet about half of the poppy seed filling in a uniform layer
15) roll filled pastry sheets, then press edges to seal them
16) put poppy seed roll cake on a baking tray, break an egg, beat it by a fork and brush cakes on top and sides
17) put the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C / 360 F and bake until golden brown (about 30-45 minutes)
18) take the tray out from the oven and wait for the delicious poppy seed rolls to cool completely
19) slice each roll as desired
Sweetbread is definitely one of the most loved desserts in Transylvania. Therefore, there is a lot of homemade cake recipes for different types of sweet bread, with both leavened and unleavened dough.
Many people don’t know that in fact there are more traditional sweetbread recipes in Transylvania. One of the oldest and best is the poppy seed roll cake.
This poppy seed roll cake recipe is considered to be a manorial variant of sweetbread that was prepared in the past only by wealthy people since the necessary ingredients were expensive.
I know that almost everyone has a favorite sweet bread recipe. I recommend to those who have not yet prepared and tasted this poppy seed roll cake recipe to make it as quickly as possible. Certainly, the noble taste and the very fluffy texture of the cake will delight everyone!
Enjoy the poppy seed roll cake recipe!