View this cooking video about how to make pork goulash using a traditional Hungarian goulash recipe with onion gravy and diced pork shoulder!
SUPER YUMMY diced pork shoulder recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY Hungarian goulash! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 2,5 kg/88 oz of diced pork shoulder
2) 1,5 kg/53 oz of onion
3) 1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil
4) salt and ground black pepper to taste
5) 2 tbsp of sweet paprika
6) 1/2 tbsp of smoked paprika (you can replace it with sweet paprika)
7) 1/2 tbsp of spicy paprika (you can replace it with sweet paprika)
8) 1/2 tbsp of cumin powder
9) 1 tbsp of garlic powder or a few crushed garlic cloves
10) about 0.5 l/17 fl oz of warmish water
11) chopped fresh greenery (optional)
1) cube pork shoulder in small pieces
2) peel off and chop onions finely
3) simmer diced pork with some oil, season food with salt to taste
4) add chopped onion after 10-15 minutes and continue simmering ingredients until the onion is soft
5) add paprika and simmer for 30 seconds more by stirring continuously
6) reduce temperature and season food with black pepper to taste
7) flavor the pork goulash with cumin and garlic
8) add water, then boil goulash over low temperature until the onion gravy drops and the meat is very tender
9) sprinkle over food some chopped greenery when serving the Hungarian goulash for a more fresh taste (optional)
The authentic Hungarian pork goulash recipe is very easy to make, doesn’t require many ingredients, and is very tasty, just like any Hungarian goulash.
Goulash is probably the most popular dish in Hungary. People in this country eat goulash almost every day, no matter the meat type of which is cooked!
As a result, there it’s not surprising that the Hungarian goulash recipe is very popular not just in this Eastern European country but also all over the world and especially in places where lives a large community of Hungarians.
To cook a Hungarian goulash recipe correctly there is very important to add the right amount of water! This is the point where most people fail to cook properly this pork goulash recipe!
The secret is to NOT add excessive water because onion gravy will be fluid and won’t taste good!
Another important thing when cooking the pork goulash recipe is to prepare the dish over a low temperature in the final part to allow the meat to get tender and the gravy lower.
Hungarian goulash, both beef and pork versions, it’s traditionally served with flour dumplings.
However, there are many people who prefer boiled potatoes, boiled rice, or even boiled pasta with the pork goulash recipe because all these variations are very tasty due to the flavored onion gravy and juicy meat.
As I already mentioned, using fresh greenery is not mandatory. However, I recommend using fresh dill or fresh parsley leaves because their taste matches very well goulash flavors.
Besides more freshness, dill and parsley bring more vitamins to this main dish with meat, so use any of them to enjoy a healthier meal!
If you don’t like dill or parsley, you can use coriander leaves. This herb is also very popular in Hungary.
More information about Hungarian foods can be found here.
cooking pork | cooking goulash | Hungarian food | Hungarian recipes