Learn in this video how to make a potato bake by using a tasty and easy potato casserole recipe from scratch!
SUPER YUMMY homemade potato gratin savoyard recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY French foods! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) first, boil potatoes with the skin on in salted water until soft
2) take boiled potatoes out of the water and wait to cool to room temperature
3) peel potatoes off
4) cut potatoes into rounds of about a finger thickness
5) slice smoked bacon into small and thin pieces
6) grate the cheese coarsely
7) chop chives or green onions finely
8) butter a high-temperature proof casserole
9) make a potato layer by using about half of the potatoes
10) season potatoes with some salt to taste
11) place bacon pieces into a layer over potatoes
12) grind some black pepper to taste all over
13) sprinkle dried thyme over bacon
14) sprinkle chopped chives all over
15) make a cheese layer by using about half of the grated cheese
16) place the rest of the potatoes into a layer over the cheese
17) put sour cream into a bowl, add the rest of the grated cheese, and mix ingredients well
18) spread the cheesy sour cream over potatoes to get a layer
19) put the casserole into the preheated oven at 200 C/390 F and bake this French au gratin potatoes until golden on top (about 20-25 minutes)
20) turn the oven off and leave the dish inside for 15-30 minutes before serving (VERY IMPORTANT!)
Potatoes au gratin represents one of the most popular French food recipes. All over the world, most restaurants feature at least one gratin potato recipe on the menu. Of course, in some places, this dish is not called potato gratin but scalloped potatoes, potato bake, potato casserole, and so on.
There are several French au gratin potato recipes, from which gratin dauphinoise is the most popular. However, there are more very tasty similar recipes worth to cook and one of them is gratin savoyard.
The authentic version of this gratin doesn’t include sour cream among ingredients, but the modern versions still feature it. As a result, the scalloped potatoes recipe presented on this page is a kind of combination of potato gratin dauphinoise and potato gratin savoyard.
Cooking gratin is quite simple and doesn’t pose difficulties to anyone, so even the less experienced of you can prepare it with great results.
As a results, there are not many cooking tips to share with you regarding this gratin recipe. Maybe, I should underline two things.
One is to not open the oven door while baking the dish because the cold air impacts the top layer, which won’t rise as usually.
Second, set the oven at a medium-high temperature and avoid very high temperatures because the bottom of the casserole will burn and the cheesy top layer will be very dry and, possibly, burned.
Third, when the potato gratin Savoyard is slightly golden (NOT BROWN!), turn the oven off and leave the casserole inside. This is very important to allow harden the cheesy layer and sour cream inside the food. Plus, the dish will cool a bit, so you can serve it at the best temperature.
Enjoy the potato bake recipe with smoked bacon!
Read more about different gratin types here.