Learn in this video how to make cheese doughnuts from scratch by using an easy Romanian doughnuts recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 2 l/70 fl oz of water
2) 1 tsp of salt
3) 50 g/1.75 oz of butter
4) 100 g/3.5 oz of fine-grained breadcrumbs
5) 250 g/9 oz of cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
6) 1 egg
7) 1 tsp of vanilla extract
8) 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
9) 2 tbsp of semolina
10) 1 tsp/doughnut of bilberry jam (you can use other sour-sweet jam types as well such as sour cherry, raspberry, and so on)
11) 1 tbsp of sour cream/doughnut
12) some caster sugar to taste
1) place water into a large pot, then put the pot to the stovetop over medium-low temperature, add salt, mix and wait until the water is hot
2) in the meantime, place butter into a pan over medium temperature and wait to melt
3) add breadcrumbs to the pan and fry it for about 2 minutes or until golden brown, mix continuously to avoid burning
4) place cheese into a bowl, then break over the egg
5) add vanilla extract, 2 tbsp of flour, and semolina to the bowl, then combine by hand just like in the video until you get a smooth mixture
6) sprinkle about 2 tbsp of flour over the working surface, place the cheese dough on it, knead it a bit, then make a roll of about 10-15 cm/4-6 inches diameter
7) cut the roll into rounds of about 1-2 finger thickness (try to cut them evenly)
8) stretch the rounds into discs just like in the video and make a small cavity in the middle
9) when the water is bubbling, place the dough into water and wait to rise to the surface
10) after the cheese doughnuts are at the water surface, boil them for about 2 minutes, then drain the water and put it into the pan with the fried breadcrumbs
11) coat cheese doughnuts with breadcrumbs all over
12) place a few doughnuts on a plate, then put a teaspoon of jam to the cavity from the middle of each doughnut
13) place a tablespoon of double cream over each doughnut, then sprinkle some caster sugar to taste
14) serve doughnuts while still warm
Doughnuts are some of the most popular cake recipes all over the world. There are lots of doughnuts recipes with different ingredients, depending on the local taste.
Most people know about the basic doughnuts recipe which features fried dough and various fillings.
I present you a rare doughnut recipe, namely the Romanian cheese doughnut. This recipe includes sweet cow cheese into the dough.
Sweet cow cheese is a cottage cheese type. It is very similar to ricotta cheese, so you can use it as well to make Romanian cheese doughnuts.
There are two types of Romanian doughnuts – one is made by frying, the other is made by boiling. I show you how to make the boiled doughnuts because this is the rare version and few know how to make it.
Both cheese doughnuts types are very tasty. This is the reason why it is very popular in Romania.
Even if it seems a special recipe with spectacular results, this dessert is not served just on holidays but is made regularly.
Regarding the jam, traditionally the recipe includes bilberry jam because it has a sweet-sour taste. If you don’t have or you don’t like this jam type, you can replace it with another similar jam such as sour cherry jam, raspberry jam, and so on.
To get the best results when you make this dessert, I recommend you to use just very fresh cheese.
Another tip you should follow is to not boil doughnuts too much because it will harden if you boil them too much. About two minutes is the indicated boiling time after they rose to the water surface.
Also, there is very important to boil doughnuts in a large quantity of water to avoid sticking one to another.
Enjoy cheese doughnuts!
Read more about the Romanian cheese doughnuts, named papanași, here.