Stovetop sauerkraut and sausage recipe – how to make sauerkraut and sausage casserole with tomato gravy. Stovetop sauerkraut and sausage recipe to cook a casserole with simple and delicious ingredients like tomatoes.
Learn in this video how to make sauerkraut and sausage casserole by using a yummy and easy casserole recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 150 g / 5 oz of onions
2) 1-2 tbsp of sunflower oil
3) 1,5 kg / 52 oz of sauerkraut
4) 500 g / 18 oz of smoked sausages such as Polish sausage (Kielbasa) or another similar sausage type
5) 900 g / 32 oz of tomatoes or thick tomato broth
6) 300 ml / 10 fl oz of warmish water
7) 1 tsp of dried thyme
8) 1 tsp of cumin powder
9) ground black pepper to taste
1) peel onions off and chop it
2) pour oil into a skillet and wait to warm up, then add onions and fry over high temperature
3) desalt partly sauerkraut in cold water if necessary, then chop it
4) add sauerkraut into the skillet when the onion is glassy and continue frying ingredients
5) slice sausage, add it to the skillet, and continue frying ingredients
6) when sauerkraut and sausage are fried slightly, add tomato to the skillet, and reduce the temperature
7) pour some water into the pan, season food with thyme, cumin, and black pepper, mix ingredients and simmer the food over low heat
8) the casserole is ready when the sauce is low and both the sauerkraut and sausage are tender (about 20-25 minutes)
Sausage and sauerkraut casserole is one of the food recipes that I cook often in wintertime. I simply love both smoked sausage and sauerkraut, so a casserole featuring both of them is the perfect way to cook and enjoy hearty food.
Most often, smoked sausage and sauerkraut are fried together and served simply in this way. What is pretty unusual at the recipe that I publish on this page is the addition of tomato.
Since I cook this dish during winter, there is hard to find fresh tomatoes, so I use instead chopped canned tomatoes or very thick tomato broth. Both are very good to get food that will delight everyone!
I came up with the idea of using tomatoes because the food containing only sausages and fried cabbage is too dry.
Tomatoes have the role to make a gravy and enrich the food with an aroma that fits very well with the rest of the ingredients included in the sausage casserole recipe.
Regarding flavors, thyme and cumin match very well the smoked sausage and sour cabbage. If you don’t like cumin, simply skip over this spice or replace it with ginger powder.
This casserole is usually served without any side dish. However, if you want to enjoy an even more nourishing dish, you might boil some potatoes and serve the casserole added over them on the plate. Boiled pasta can be used as well.
The sausage casserole recipe is very easy, so you don’t need any advanced cooking skills to get perfect results. The food is ready in a short time and you need just a couple of ingredients, so you can easily make a fantastic food that will spoil you on a cold winter day.
To not forget, you have to use a smoked half-raw sausage type for the best results. Sausages have to be not too dry, not too raw, so the perfect sausage type is something like the Polish sausage named Kielbasa.
Enjoy sauerkraut and sausage casserole recipe!
Read more about different casserole dishes here.