Learn in this video how to cook a ham shank by using a yummy and easy cold appetizer recipe with a smoked ham hock or pork knuckle!
SUPER TASTY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) place smoked ham hock into a large pot
2) peel garlic cloves off and put them into the pot
3) add black peppercorn and bay leaves into the pot, then fill it up with water to cover the ham
4) place the pot on the stovetop over low temperature and boil slowly the knuckle until it’s very tender even near the bone (check with a fork!), this step takes about 1-2 hours, depending on the ham size
5) meanwhile, take the eggs out from the fridge and wait to warm to room temperature (this will avoid breaking eggs when placing into the hot broth!)
6) take the shank out from the pot, then put eggs into the broth slowly and carefully to not break them
7) boil eggs until the yolk is creamy or hard (4-6 minutes), on your choice
8) take eggs out from the pot and wait until both the ham shank and eggs cool to room temperature
9) cut thin ham slices with a very sharp knife and serve them as a cold appetizer along with boiled eggs, cold horseradish sauce, spring onions, and red radish (optional)
Did you think ever to include smoked ham shank recipe among your favorite appetizer recipes? Probably not, but ham shank, ham hock or pork knuckle (no matter how you call it!) can be turned into a fantastic cold appetizer that will surprise your guests and family!
I simply love ham shank cooked in any way, but this smoked ham shank recipe is probably in my top 10 favorite food recipes!
In Hungary, many families boil pork knuckle with eggs for Easter. The appetizer can be served before the main dishes in the first Easter day. Another way to serve boiled pork knuckle with eggs is at breakfast, also in the first Easter day. Of course, you can eat this savory food anytime you want, not just at Easter! At least, I do it frequently!
Keep in mind that this smoked ham shank recipe is very useful because the knuckle prepared in this way can be used not just as a cold appetizer but also as a main dish or as ingredient for other dishes.
Boiled ham hock can be served also hot, immediately as you take it out from the pot. It’s simply amazing, especially when you enjoy it along with some delicious sauce like cold horseradish sauce, onion sauce, garlic sauce, and so on.
The smoked ham shank recipe can be used to cook other more complex dishes such as baked beans with smoked pork knuckle. This is another exceptional food that I cook often and especially during winter when the cold whether requires a hearty meal to warm up both the body and soul!
Read more about ham shank here!