Authentic Hungarian stuffed cabbage recipes – how to make sweet cabbage stuffed rolls. Easy food recipe to cook Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls with sweet cabbage, ground pork, and smoked bacon (töltött káposzta).
Learn in this video how to make stuffed cabbage rolls from scratch by using a yummy and easy sweet cabbage stuffed rolls recipe in the authentic Hungarian style!
SUPER YUMMY Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
ENJOY stuffed cabbage rolls recipe! 👌
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 200 g / 7 oz of onions (2-3 large onions)
2) 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
3) 2,5 kg / 90 oz of sweet cabbage (2 heads)
4) 1,7 kg / 60 oz of pork mince
5) 1 tbsp of dried thyme
6) 6 tbsp of sweet paprika
7) 2 eggs
8) 400 g / 15 oz of rice
9) 500 g / 20 oz of smoked bacon (or another type of smoked pork meat like sausage)
10) 1 bundle of green dill
11) 500 g / 20 oz of tomato
12) some sour cream for serving
1) peel and chop the onion with a kitchen knife, then place it in a pan with a little oil and fry until it becomes glassy, meanwhile season it with some salt to taste
2) cut stubs out from cabbage heads and remove blistered outer leaves
3) get to boil some water into a tall pot
4) when water starts bubbling, put cabbage heads into the pot, one at a time, and keep it immersed for a few minutes
5) detach cabbage leaves from head one by one, be careful not to break them
6) put aside small leaves from inside for later chopping
7) place pork mince into a bowl and season it with salt and ground pepper to taste
8) add thyme, paprika, broken eggs, rice, and fried onion together with oil, then mix ingredients well
9) cut the hard string out at the end of each cabbage leaf, then fill it up with about a tablespoon of minced meat and rice mixture (if the cabbage leaf is too large you can cut it into 2 or even 3 pieces of the right size)
10) fold cabbage sheet as tightly as possible with the edges inwards, press the ends inside with your finger tightly so that the stuffing does not come out during boiling, then continue with the rest of the ingredients until they are all over
11) chop remaining cabbage and put half of it in a tall pot
12) place into the pot a row of cabbage rolls tightly fixed to each other so that they do not open during cooking
13) cut smoked bacon into larger pieces, chop dill and tomatoes, then sprinkle over the first row of sweet cabbage stuffed rolls a little of each
14) place another row of stuffed cabbage, then continue with similar layers until the pot fills completely up
15) put remaining chopped cabbage on top into a layer, place over a heat-proof and heavy dish to avoid rising rolls during boiling and then fill the pot up with water
16) boil Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls over low temperature until both cabbage and stuffing are soft
17) serve 2-3 sweet cabbage stuffed rolls with some sour cream on top (recommended)
Sweet cabbage stuffed rolls recipe is usually prepared in summer, when pickled cabbage is very hard to find. Although similar, in addition to the stuffed rolls recipe with pickled cabbage, to this recipe are added fresh tomatoes and green dill, which give a special aroma and a more refined taste.
There is not mandatory to use smoked bacon or other smoked meat when cooking this food, but the traditional Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls recipe features smoked meat for the slightly smoky taste that is added to the other ingredients.
The Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls recipe, unlike stuffed cabbage rolls in other countries, requires to make rolls of medium or even large size, so I recommend that you serve up to mostly 2-3 pieces per serving.
Although the use of double cream is not mandatory when making this stuffed cabbage rolls recipe, I still recommend adding 1-2 teaspoons of cream over each serving to get a perfect taste and maximum satisfaction while enjoying this authentic Hungarian food!
Don’t forget to put 2-3 pieces of boiled bacon on the plate! The delicious sweet cabbage rolls will become irresistible together with the smoky taste of the meat!
Enjoy sweet cabbage stuffed rolls in Hungarian style!
Read more about stuffed cabbage rolls recipe origins here.