Learn in this cooking video how to make a cheesy eggplant casserole using a tasty and easy Italian food recipe from scratch!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY cooking eggplants! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 2 kg/70 oz of eggplant
2) 800 g/28 oz of canned chopped tomatoes or 1 kg/35 oz of fresh thinly sliced tomatoes
3) 400 g/14 oz of grated Parmesan cheese
4) 2 tbsp of olive oil
5) 6 garlic cloves or to taste
6) a few fresh basil leaves or 1/2 tsp of dried basil powder
7) 3 tbsp of breadcrumbs
8) salt and ground black pepper to taste
1) place eggplants on a tray lined with baking paper
2) make some holes into the eggplants by the fork, the bake eggplants in the oven at 180 C/360 F until soft (eggplants can be roasted on the charcoal grill as well)
3) take eggplants out from the oven and wait to cool to room temperature
4) cut the ends and peel eggplants off
5) oil a tray with olive oil
6) slice eggplants thinly (I recommend about 1-finger width slices) and place about half of them into the oiled tray into a layer
7) place about half of the tomatoes over the eggplant layer
8) add salt and ground black pepper to taste
9) add crushed or chopped garlic cloves over the tomato layer
10) break basil leaves and add them into the tray all over
11) place about half of the grated Parmesan cheese into the tray
12) place the rest of the eggplant slices into the tray
13) place the remaining tomato into the tray
14) add salt and ground black pepper to taste
15) sprinkle breadcrumbs into a layer
16) sprinkle the rest of the cheese over breadcrumbs
17) place the tray into the preheated oven at 200 C/390 F and bake the casserole until golden on top
18) take the tray out from the oven and wait about 15-30 minutes before serving (recommended)
I simply love eggplant, so I use it a lot to make various food recipes. Mostly, I prepare different types of eggplant dip in late summer and the beginning of fall when naturally ripe eggplant can be found abundantly.
Besides roasted eggplant salad, I cook pretty often eggplant casserole or eggplant bake. I like both baked eggplant casserole in the Greek style (moussaka) and Italian style, to which belongs the recipe on this page.
As you probably have seen, I show you in the video how to bake eggplants in the oven because many people don’t have an open-air grill. However, as much as you have the ability, I recommend instead roasting the eggplant on the charcoal grill for the added smoked taste that I love so much.
In another train of thought, making this tomato and eggplant Parmesan casserole is very easy and doesn’t require many ingredients, nor much time or advanced cooking skills.
As you probably already read, canned chopped tomatoes can be replaced with fresh tomatoes for more flavor. I recommend slicing tomatoes very thinly to bake well and get the best results with this delicious eggplant bake.
By the way, this food can be served as the main dish for lunch or dinner on scorching summer days because it’s nourishing without making you feel bloated.
However, the casserole can be served as an appetizer as a warm appetizer, or even as a snack in the afternoon. As you can see, the recipe is very versatile, so I think it’s a good choice when you want to cook eggplant and you want to get simple but tasty food!
Enjoy the cheesy tomato and eggplant casserole recipe!
More information about eggplant dishes are available here.