Learn in this video how to make a vanilla sponge cake from scratch by using a yummy and easy homemade Victoria sponge cake recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade vanilla sponge cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) break eggs and separate yolks and egg whites
2) place yolks into a bowl
3) add sugar over yolks, then stir ingredients by mixer until sugar is dissolved completely
4) add vanilla essence or vanilla extract, then mix ingredients again
5) add water and mix ingredients by hand
6) add flour and combine ingredients by hand
7) add baking powder and mix ingredients by hand
8) place egg whites into another bowl, add over them a pinch of salt, then whisk ingredients by mixer until hard
9) add gradually egg white to the first bowl and mix ingredients gently by hand with slow rotations from bottom to top until you get a smooth dough
10) flour a round mold or rectangular baking tray, then pour dough inside
11) shake the mold well to eliminate excess air from the dough
12) place mold into the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and bake the dough until golden on top and the core is no more sticky (about 25-30 minutes)
13) take the mold out from the oven and wait to cool the cake to room temperature
14) use the sponge to prepare any torte or cake you like
A basic Victoria sponge cake recipe is very easy to make. Very simple said you have to mix flour with egg and sugar, bake ingredients, and Victoria sponge is ready to turn it into any sophisticated cake you can imagine!
The easy sponge cake recipe I present on this page doesn’t make an exception. It’s a classic sponge recipe adapted for 8 eggs. It has a size that fits well my needs and the cake you can make with it is pretty large.
Generally speaking, a torte prepared with this easy sponge cake recipe is large enough to serve at least 15-20 people, depending on the torte type you are going to make.
However, this sponge cake recipe can be used to make various fruit cakes or slice cakes. These types of homemade cakes require most often a rectangular shape, so use a baking tray instead of round mold when you make sponge for such cake types.
Vanilla is the most often used flavor to make sponge for cakes, but it can be prepared with another aroma like almond, lemon, mint, and so on.
Probably you know already all things I wrote above, but what’s the secret of making a very fluffy sponge?
Well, the answer is simple: patience and handwork. I saw many video tutorials showing you how to make Victoria sponge cake quickly only by a mixer.
Maybe this is possible for a SMALL cake, but if you do the same with a larger amount of ingredients your cake will be thick and sometimes even sticky inside, a sign that the cake didn’t grow correctly.
So, to make fluffy Victoria sponge cake you need to combine ingredients by hand from the point I’ve mentioned above because you’ll incorporate air into composition when you mix ingredients slowly with rotation movements from bottom to top. And air, as you can guess, makes the sponge fluffy!
Sure, baking powder and baking temperatures are also important to make fluffy vanilla sponge cake, but handwork is crucial!
Enjoy Victoria sponge cake recipe with 8 eggs!
Read more about vanilla sponge cake origins here!