Easy pilaf recipe to cook rice with vegetables and more simple and tasty ingredients on the stovetop.
Learn in this video how to make vegetable rice pilaf from scratch by using a tasty and easy pilaf recipe with fresh vegetables!
SUPER YUMMY food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY vegetable rice pilaf! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 1 kg/35 oz of rice grains
2) 250 g/9 oz of onions, chopped
3) 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
4) salt and ground black pepper to taste
5) 2 green or yellow bell peppers, chopped
6) 1 red bell pepper, chopped
7) 1 hot chili pepper, chopped (optional)
8) 1 kg/35 oz of zucchini, peeled and cubed small
9) 750 g/25 oz of tomatoes, chopped
10) 500-750 ml/17-25 fl oz of water or chicken stock
11) a bit of thyme (optional) and a bundle of chopped parsley leaves
1) place rice into cold water and wait a couple of hours to soften (recommended)
2) peel onions off and chop them finely
3) pour oil into a pot, turn the heat to a medium level, and wait to become hot
4) place onions into the pot, season with some salt to taste, and wait until glassy (2-3 minutes)
5) add peppers into the pot and continue simmering ingredients
6) after about 2-3 minutes add cubed zucchini and continue cooking ingredients
7) after another 3 minutes add chopped tomatoes and some ground black pepper to taste
8) add the soaked rice into the pot and reduce the temperature to medium-low
9) add water or chicken stock, depending on how juicy are the vegetables and the food type that you want to cook (vegetarian or non-vegetarian)
10) boil ingredients until soft, mix them from time to time to avoid sticking to the pot bottom and burning
11) add some chopped thyme and parsley (recommended), then cover the pot with the lid and wait about 10-15 minutes (VERY IMPORTANT!)
12) serve the pilaf plain or as a side dish along with roasted meat
Pilaf is a type of rice dish that is very popular in some parts of the world including the Balkans and Eastern Europe. In many countries, pilaf ( vegetarian or featuring meat) is among the most popular food recipes.
The pilaf recipe shared on this page is typical to Balkan countries. There are, of course, regional variations, but don’t be surprised to eat a very similar recipe in Serbia, Montenegro, or Bosnia.
Regarding the liquid that you add to the pot, choose water if you want to cook vegetarian food or chicken stock for a more refined taste.
If you watched already the video, you know that cooking this vegetable food recipe is very easy and doesn’t require any advanced cooking skills.
As a result, there are not too many cooking tips to share with you regarding this food. Still, there are two important things that I want to underline.
One is to add vegetables gradually to the pot, not all at once how many of you would be tempted. This is because they have different softening times, so they need different cooking times. By following exactly my recipe all the veggies will be evenly soft, not some too soft and other hard.
The second important tip is to cover the lid and wait at least 15 minutes, even 30 if you can. I recommend this because the steam accumulated in the pot will make the rice very fluffy. Plus, the rice has time to soak the vegetable juice up, becoming very tasty.
Enjoy pilaf with fresh vegetables!
Similar to this recipe, on this website is available a mushroom and green pea pilaf recipe.
Read more about pilaf origins here.