📖 Table of Contents
Cooking Hungarian White Bean Soup Recipes at Home: Bableves
My white bean soup (bableves) is one of the most delicious Hungarian bean soup recipes you ever cooked!
➡️ Searching for authentic Hungarian white bean soup recipes in 2023? On this page, you can learn how to make white bean and sausage soup from scratch in 10 steps at home. The white bean is a staple food in many parts of the world and especially in the temperate areas of the northern hemisphere where this plant has ideal growing conditions and the harvests are abundant. Therefore, you will find many recipes in which white beans are the main ingredient.
➡️ One of the favorite methods of cooking white beans is soup. In Hungary, white bean soup is highly appreciated and is cooked throughout the cold season. Often paprika sausages, an iconic dish of this country, are added to the Hungarian white bean soup. Other times, it’s made with smoked pork knuckles or another type of smoked pork. My easy Hungarian bean soup recipe helps you cook homemade soup with white navy beans, smoked sausage, and healthy vegetables.
➡️ Cooking a bean soup is not a difficult assignment and this recipe is no exception. The cooking time is relatively short if you soak the beans the night before or very short if you boil them in a pressure cooker. Using canned beans also greatly reduces cooking time. Watch the cooking video below and learn how to make white bean and sausage soup from scratch using a yummy and easy homemade bean soup recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Hungarian Bean from Scratch
What ingredients do you need to make white bean soup with sausage?
1) 1 kg/35 oz of dried white bean type such as navy bean or butter bean
2) some salt to taste
3) 1 kg/35 oz of root vegetables (600 g/21 oz of carrots + 400 g/14 oz of parsnip root)
4) 1 tbsp of sunflower oil
5) 300 g/10 oz of smoked sausage (I use Hungarian pork sausage with paprika)
6) 3-5 tbsp of apple vinegar or to taste
7) chopped parsley leaves to taste (I recommend a middle-sized bundle)
8) some pickled chili peppers to taste (optional)
How to make white bean soup with sausage from scratch?
1) put dried beans in cold water and wait to soften overnight
2) put beans in a pot, add a pinch of salt and bring water to a boil over medium heat
3) when beans have softened partly, remove boiling water to reduce flatulence effects
4) peel root vegetables off, cut them into sticks, and place them in the pot
5) fill the crock with warm water and season ingredients with salt or red pepper paste (see how to make red pepper pasta for food seasoning)
6) pour a tablespoon of oil, then put the pot over medium-low temperature and boil the ingredients slowly
7) meanwhile, cut smoked sausages into thicker slices
8) when vegetables have softened well, add smoked sausage rounds into the broth, sour the soup with apple vinegar to taste, and boil ingredients for about 10 minutes more over low temperature
9) chop parsley leaves, put them into the pot, cover the pot with a lid, and wait for about 5 minutes before serving
10) serve this delicious white bean soup with smoked sausage along with pickled hot chili peppers (optional)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Final Notes for the Hungarian Bean Soup Recipe with Smoked Sausages
➡️ In Hungary and many other Central and Eastern European countries, white bean soup with smoked sausage or smoked ham is one of the most popular and cooked soup recipes in the winter.
➡️ Almost every one of us with Eastern European roots nostalgically remembers the cold winter days of childhood when, after spending time outdoors, Mom or Grandma was waiting for us with a steaming plate of bean broth, dotted with either smoked sausage slices or with smoked ham hock pieces. And how good it was!
➡️ Being an important part of my culinary heritage, I often cook this recipe for white bean soup and smoked sausages for the family and everyone is looking forward to enjoying it every time! Sometimes, on the same day, I prepare greaves cake, which I eat with soup instead of bread. You can’t even imagine how good this combination is, especially if the greaves cakes are well-peppered!
➡️ Since I like spicy food, I serve white bean soup with smoked sausages along with pickled hot peppers, which I prepare at home in the fall and keep in the pantry. Of course, if you don’t like the spicy taste, you can serve the soup without this ingredient. It will be just as tasty!
➡️ Preparing this Hungarian bean soup recipe is not difficult at all! Even those without much experience in the kitchen can cook it without worrying about making mistakes, even for the first time. In addition, this recipe does not require sophisticated ingredients, so you will save money from your budget!
➡️ The cooking time is also short, so you have no excuse not to try this wonderful Hungarian bean soup recipe as soon as possible. I assure you that it is absolutely delicious and will please everyone!
➡️ Enjoy cooking the Hungarian white bean soup recipe with smoked sausage from scratch! For additional info, read more about different bean soup recipes here.
Related Bean Soup Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by