Final Notes for the Wiener Schnitzel Recipe
➡️ Schnitzel is today one of the most popular food recipes in the world and especially in European countries such as Germany, Austria, Hungary, and so on.
➡️ Many of you have probably already enjoyed pork or chicken schnitzel, but not veal or beef. In fact, authentic wiener schnitzel is made exclusively with veal. You may not know it, but in Austria, a restaurant can’t offer Wiener schnitzel if it’s not cooked with veal! That doesn’t mean I don’t make pork schnitzel, but the dish is called Wiener Art Schnitzel.
➡️ In addition to the type of meat, another ingredient is typical of wiener schnitzel, namely breadcrumbs. Even if you use veal, but not breadcrumbs, your schnitzel will not be an authentic Viennese schnitzel!
➡️ Another interesting thing about this food is that Emperor Frantz Iosef loved schnitzel so much that he ate it almost every day. Moreover, at banquets, he could not wait until all the people were served, but he used to devour the schnitzel immediately, so that the guests would stay hungry and, when leaving the palace, they would stop at the nearby restaurants for dinner there!
➡️ As you may have seen in the video, cooking schnitzel is very easy and doesn’t pose difficulties even for the less experienced home chefs.
➡️ However, there are a few tips that will help you make the perfect schnitzel, no matter the meat you are going to use.
6 PRO Tips to Cook Wiener Schnitzel
- cut the meat into thin slices and flatten it enough to be really thin. The perfect schnitzel is soft inside and crunchy outside and you won’t achieve this if you will use thick meat slices!
- fry the schnitzel over medium heat, take your time, and don’t hurry! In this way, the meat has enough time to soften and the breadcrumbs become golden. By the way, the schnitzel is ready when it’s golden, not brown!
- use enough butter or oil to sink the meat at least half of the slice, this helps to cook the schnitzel evenly.
- drain the schnitzel very well and place it on absorbent paper to avoid eating a dish full of oil!
- don’t cover the dish where you keep the schnitzel before serving because the steam will soften the breadcrumb coating, which will have an unpleasant texture.
- serve the dish after a short time it’s ready, the perfect Wiener Schnitzel must to be warm or even hot when you start eating it!
➡️ Pork schnitzel is prepared in the same way and is nowadays even more popular than the authentic wiener schnitzel. However, veal is a great choice if you want to enjoy a perfect schnitzel recipe just like in Vienna!
➡️ Even for a gourmet, authentic Wiener schnitzel is a delicacy that must be appreciated for its true culinary value. Schnitzel is a unique preparation that offers you the tenderness of the veal meat on the inside combined with the crispy crumb crust on the outside. You have to taste it at least once in your life to understand what it is about and then you will want to consume it as often as possible!
➡️ Enjoy cooking Wiener schnitzel from scratch! For additional info, read more about Wiener Schnitzel origins here.