Baked zucchini recipes – how to make zucchini moussaka or mince and zucchini bake at home in 21 easy steps.
Learn in this video how to make zucchini bake from scratch by using a tasty and easy zucchini casserole recipe in the Greek style!
SUPER YUMMY homemade zucchini moussaka recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY zucchini casserole! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 1.5 kg/50 oz of ground meat (pork, beef, lamb, turkey)
2) 2 kg/70 oz of zucchini
3) 400 g/14 oz chopped onions
4) 500 g/17 oz of tomatoes (about 3 large tomatoes)
5) 1 kg/35 oz of sour cream (20% fat)
6) 2+2 tbsp of olive oil
7) salt and ground black pepper to taste
8) 1 tsp of dried thyme
9) 2 egg yolks
10) 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
1) pour 2 spoons of olive oil into a frying skillet and wait to warm up
2) place the ground meat into the pan and mix the ingredients
3) add some salt to taste to avoid making tasteless food
4) add chopped onions into the pan and mix
5) fry ingredients until softened and very slightly browned, then set aside when ready
6) in the meantime, peel zucchini off
7) slice zucchini into thin rounds (about half a finger width)
8) slice tomatoes thinly as well
9) use the remaining olive oil to brush a large and higher tray
10) place a zucchini layer to cover entirely the tray’s bottom (use about 1/3 of zucchini)
11) place about half of the fried mince to make a layer over the zucchini
12) season with thyme and ground black pepper to taste
13) make another zucchini layer (use about half of the remaining zucchini)
14) put the rest of the meat into a layer
15) make a layer with the rest of the zucchini slices
16) make a tomato layer
17) place sour cream into a bowl, then add over egg yolks and flour
18) stir ingredients into the bowl until very smooth
19) pour the mixture over tomatoes as evenly as possible
20) shake the tray well to enter sour cream between ingredients, then bake the zucchini moussaka in the preheated oven at 180 C/ 360 F until slightly brown, turn the oven at maximum for about 10 minutes until the top is golden
21) take the tray out from the oven and wait about 15-30 minutes to cool the zucchini bake a little and harden the food juice
If you’re a Greek food fan you probably recognized the working method to prepare moussaka. This is the world-famous Greek dish that is nowadays offered in many restaurants not just in Greece but in many other parts of the planet.
It’s true that eggplant can be baked instead of grilled, but I really like the original smoked taste of the dish, so I don’t make eggplant moussaka if I cannot roast the aubergine.
However, moussaka has a few variations from the potato moussaka is the most popular. Similar to the authentic moussaka recipe, I’ve created this zucchini moussaka, which is very tasty and very similar to the eggplant Greek moussaka.
The most notable difference in the recipe is the use of zucchini instead of aubergine. Furthermore, my recipe is even easier than the original recipe because you don’t have to prepare the zucchini before you are going to use it.
Basically, you need just to peel and slice the aubergine and it’s already good for use. I’m a huge fan of zucchini prepared in any way, so introducing it into a casserole recipe such as moussaka came to my mind naturally!
Regarding the minced meat that you can use for this zucchini bake, most often I cook the food with ground pork or a mixture of ground pork and ground beef. Needless to say, there can be used also beef, lamb, or even turkey mince if you like more these meat types.
Not to forget, pay attention before you introduce the tray into the oven and shake VERY WELL the tray to enter sour cream both between ingredients and between ingredients and the tray sides. This is important to avoid burning the food and allowing zucchini to soften.
Another important thing to keep in mind when cooking zucchini casserole is to slice the plants very thinly. This procedure is needed to help soften the zucchini slices more evenly.
Finally, please wait when the moussaka is ready and don’t rush to serve the food straight away. This is important not just because the zucchini casserole is too hot and you’re at the risk to burn your mouth but also because is necessary some time to harden the cream layer and the juice inside the food.
Enjoy the zucchini moussaka or zucchini casserole with mincemeat!
Read more about various casserole types here.