Stuffed cabbage roll recipes – how to make Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls with pickled cabbage. Easy cabbage rolls recipe to cook cabbage rolls in Hungarian style with smoked ham, pickled cabbage, and more simple ingredients.
View this video about how to make Hungarian stuffed cabbage from scratch with one of the best sour cabbage roll recipes you ever cooked!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 400 g / 14 oz of onion
2) some vegetable oil
3) 4-5 kg / 140-180 oz of whole pickled cabbage (2-3 heads)
4) 2 kg / 70 oz of pork mince
5) 2 eggs
6) 4 tbsp of sweet paprika (you can replace it partly with spicy paprika if you wish)
7) salt and ground black pepper to taste
8) 1 tbsp of dried thyme
9) 1 tbsp of dried cumin (optional)
10) 750 g / 25 oz of rice
11) 1 kg of smoked rustic ham or smoked bacon
12) chopped dill to taste (optional)
13) sour cream for serving (recommended)
1) finely chop onions, then fry them into a skillet with some vegetable oil over high temperature
2) cut the stub out completely from all sour cabbage heads
3) detach cabbage leaves carefully from the heads to not break them
4) remove the central hard ending from every sour cabbage leaf just like in the video, then cut the leaves in 2-3 equal parts if they are too large
5) place mince into a large bowl
6) add fried onions to the bowl, then break eggs over them
7) add paprika, then season food with salt and pepper to taste (be aware that usually, the pickled cabbage is salty, so not always is necessary to put salt)
8) flavor the food by adding dried thyme and cumin
9) add rice, then combine ingredients very well, you can pour a little cold water if necessary
10) cut ham or bacon into larger pieces (you can use smoked sausage instead)
11) place about a spoon of rice and mince mixture on every sour cabbage piece, then bend cabbage ends inwards and press them well to not open during boiling, just like in the video
12) chop remaining sauerkraut (small pieces, broken leaves, cuts)
13) place half of the chopped sauerkraut into a large pot
14) put a layer of stuffed cabbage rolls into the pot side by side
15) put some smoked ham pieces and chopped dill, then continue identically with the remaining ingredients until you fill the pot up
16) place on top the rest of chopped sauerkraut, put over a heavy heatproof dish, then pour water to fill the pot completely
17) boil the stuffed cabbage rolls over low temperature about 2-3 hours until all ingredients are soft, add more water while boiling if necessary
18) serve stuffed cabbage with some sour cream on top (recommended)
Hungarian cabbage rolls with pickled cabbage are very tasty and nourishing, so there is not surprising they belong to the most popular food recipes in this country, especially during winter.
Stuffed cabbage is very popular not just in Hungary, but also all over eastern Europe and Balkans. Even in Germany is cooked this delicious food recipe and especially in Berlin and eastern Germany. Of course, there are many versions and recipes, depending on each country.
Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls are usually served plain, just with some sour cabbage on top. There are some German versions that serve stuffed cabbage rolls along with mashed potatoes.
Enjoy Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls with pickled cabbage!
Read more about the Hungarian stuffed cabbage origins here.